Skip to main content

Going Solo

Tim and I are organizing a non-date this weekend.

It's the last weekend of 2011 and we're desperate to see the holiday-released flick Girl With a Dragon Tattoo. However...it's the last weekend of 2011 -- no one's around to hang with Henry and, to make matters even more dismal in the new year, our favorite sitter is spending the next semester in Denmark as a foreign-exchange student.

So Tim and I have decided to go see a movie. The same movie. Separately. One of us will do something with H while the other sees the film, then we'll switch.

That way, we can still talk about it afterward. Not very romantic, but quite practical, don't you think? We'll save money on sitters. We'll go during the day, so we'll get matinee prices. I'll sneak in Christmas goodies to avoid paying exorbitant concession prices.

It's Date Night, ThriftySchoon style.

I'm just excited that this will be the first theater movie I've been to in ages that wasn't either animated or in some way geared for kids. I'm a grownup! I'm going to a movie that promises "brutal violent content, strong sexuality, graphic nudity, and foul language"...woohoo!

I'm going alone. What did the guy in John Hughes' The Breakfast Club say? "That's sorta social...demented and sad, but social..."

Truthfully, I used to love going to movies alone. For years, when I never had any dates (and I'm not exaggerating), my favorite escape was sitting in a darkened theater with a diet soda and losing myself in someone else's life for a couple hours. But shhhh, don't tell Tim that. Because we'll eventually find a sitter. And get out of the debt this Christmas brought upon us. And it's pretty fun sitting next to Tim at the movies, too.

I love being part of a couple. I'm automatically less pathetic. Or perhaps, it's nice to share pathetic-ness.

At any rate, with this movie, I won't be spending 2 hours alone. I'll be spending 2 hours with Daniel Craig. And that, my friends, is a Happy New Year!

Comments

Fun idea! Did you like the movie? I saw it on Christmas Day -- thought it was fun!
Amy said…
I did a little too much celebrating on New Year's Eve, so I didn't even get out of my pjs. No movie for me. The day after, I spent all day cleaning the house for the new year. Maybe this weekend we'll get around to our moviegoing plan...

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...