Skip to main content

Vacation Central

It's that time of year -- summer vacay!!! My first trip of the season had elements of both work and play. I traveled to San Antonio, working in my company's office there for two days and spending evenings and a Saturday seeing the sights (Alamo, Riverwalk, Mexican market, and mucho mucho margaritas and guacamole).

The next bit of traveling in our family won't involve me. Tim and Henry are having a boys' getaway to the Rocky Mountains. I'm not sure exactly what all they'll do, but it will involve camping for at least four nights in a place that doesn't have showers. I'm sure they'll have fun; truthfully, I'm not totally broken up that I have to work and miss all the excitement.

We have to wait until later in July to all go someplace together, but it'll be worth it. SAN DIEGO, baby! SeaWorld, Legoland, Wild Animal Park, Aircraft Carrier Museum, the BEACH, and on and on. Cannot wait. We're staying in Escondido, near the animal park and centrally located for most of our planned activities. I'm stoked to see more palm trees, which I couldn't get enough of in San Antonio and which are woefully absent from the Iowa landscape. As long as everyone refrains from mentioning the word "shark," Henry will have a lovely time. He'll also experience the first plane ride(s) he will actually remember. The last time he traveled by air, he was small enough to sit in our lap (and save us the insane airfare too).

All this anticipation and glee makes work, well...work.

Comments

Sounds like a fun summer! When you were commenting on Facebook about working last week in the San Antonia branch and enjoying it so much, I kept thinking of The Office and Jim working in the Stamford, CT branch. Hope that no one at the San Antonio branch called you Tuna.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...