Skip to main content

Reality

Wow. That was ugly.

I had a biometric health assessment today at work. It's a free service offered by our insurance carrier and our employer to try to get people as healthy as possible so our insurance premiums won't continue to go through the roof. You know...preventive maintenance. But how much preventive maintenance can one/should one do on a 1971 Plymouth?! Ha.

I won't freak you out or embarrass myself by revealing my weight or my waist size or my BMI, except to say that, according to the charts ladies and gentlemen, I am -- drumroll and fanfare -- OBESE. Plus, my cholesterol's well above 200.

I'm so tired of fighting this battle. Could someone please create for me a healthy and satisfying alternative to the cigarette? Because honestly, the only thing that's ever effectively take off the weight and keep it off was those horrible nicotine sticks. And there you're trading one potential killer for another. "Why yes, I looked so svelte and attractive. Right before they detected the tumor and the chemo made my hair fall out..."

Are you sick of me making these declarations that I'm going to lose weight? I know I'm growing weary. I started my food diary again and am keeping track of my exercise, trying to eat more fruits and veggies, plus whole grains and lean meats. I've set a new goal I'm going to try to reach by my birthday, Dec. 1. But to tell you the truth, I'll start by aiming for that number on the scale that takes my BMI from OBESE to the other O word...overweight. Never thought I'd be aiming to celebrate that sort of mediocrity. Every little bit counts.

Comments

Brianne said…
Brett is in the same boat. I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Neither one of you are "obese." Chin up! You're not shooting for mediocrity, you're shooting for something that will make you feel FAB. :) Try not to let the medical terminology get you down. *hug*
AnneR said…
The only thing I don't like about Wii Fit is that when I step on the platform, it thinks for a minute and then says, "oooohhh, that's obese."

Keep on keepin' on, Amy. I'm right there with you. (I say, as I prepare to glaze the scones I just baked... damn. So much for healthy. They do have oatmeal and whole wheat in them, though.)

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...