Skip to main content

And the winner is...

The response to the quiz celebrating my 900th blog post was, to say the least, underwhelming. Thank you to the three kind souls who participated (or who just really wanted free stuff). I appreciated your effort!

Here are the answers (based on some random Internet searches, so I'm not truly guaranteeing they're 100 percent legit)...

1. A -- The word HAMSTER comes from the german "hamstern" which means "to hoard."
2. C -- Oldest confirmed COCKATIEL was 35
3. True -- Recliners and hide-a-beds: most deadly to FERRETS. I've heard they eat panty hose and die, too. Not real bright, those critters.
4. B -- Yogurt doesn't seem to be dangerous to DOGS.
5. Myth -- A CAT uses its whiskers to stay in tune with its surroundings, but its sense of balance is not in its whiskers.
6. Rat -- There's a whole web site devoted to celebrities with RATS. I don't judge. I just report.
7. C -- GOLDFISH is still most popular aquarium fish.
8. D -- BOSTON TERRIER isn't among the 10 most popular AKC breeds.
9. C -- Only a few hundred of the world's 3,000 SNAKES are venomous.
10.C -- RABBITS SHOULD be spayed or neutered to prevent illness and all sorts of other behavioral problems. (Just like some humans I know should be...oooh, did I just say that out loud?)

So, tallying up the scores, it looks like we have a tie. Two people missed 3 of the 10 answers (sorry Tim...were you by any chance taking a different quiz??). So I drew names. And...

Anne! You're the winner! Would you prefer PetSmart or Petco? Or do you have a local store with a Web site that sells gift certs? Lemme know. And congrats to you and your canine and feline pals. And to Ted, if he needs a new chew toy.

Comments

A fun contest and congrats to your winner, Amy! I briefly saw this blog posting and meant to play later but never got around to it...

Please have a 1,000th posting contest!!
AnneR said…
Thank you, thank you! Just like Kate and Penelope, I feel I may faint!! I'd like to thank the Academy, my agent...

We have a local Petsmart. Harry, Maddie, Minerva, and Grendel will look forward to a fun treat! I'm honored... and by doing your post, I confirmed my decision to never own a ferret.

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.

Looking Forward

I just discovered this blog was still around (and miraculously, I remembered the password). I think I might kick the tires and take it out for a spin.  Our world has been in lockdown for a year, suffering a pandemic that has killed nearly 550,000 in the United States and 2.7 million globally. We've worn masks, maintained physical distance of at least 6 feet from others, washed and sanitized our hands, worked and schooled from home, dealt with (of all things) a toilet paper shortage, and given up most of our favorite activities (restaurant dining, movie theaters, live performances, family gatherings, and so on). We've endured people's stupidity, ignorance, racism, xenophobia, selfishness, indifference. We've also celebrated the "essential worker," those who put their lives at risk to make ours safer: grocery store employees, delivery drivers, healthcare professionals, educators ... all those whose jobs help ensure continuity of our country's infrastructure