The response to the quiz celebrating my 900th blog post was, to say the least, underwhelming. Thank you to the three kind souls who participated (or who just really wanted free stuff). I appreciated your effort!
Here are the answers (based on some random Internet searches, so I'm not truly guaranteeing they're 100 percent legit)...
1. A -- The word HAMSTER comes from the german "hamstern" which means "to hoard."
2. C -- Oldest confirmed COCKATIEL was 35
3. True -- Recliners and hide-a-beds: most deadly to FERRETS. I've heard they eat panty hose and die, too. Not real bright, those critters.
4. B -- Yogurt doesn't seem to be dangerous to DOGS.
5. Myth -- A CAT uses its whiskers to stay in tune with its surroundings, but its sense of balance is not in its whiskers.
6. Rat -- There's a whole web site devoted to celebrities with RATS. I don't judge. I just report.
7. C -- GOLDFISH is still most popular aquarium fish.
8. D -- BOSTON TERRIER isn't among the 10 most popular AKC breeds.
9. C -- Only a few hundred of the world's 3,000 SNAKES are venomous.
10.C -- RABBITS SHOULD be spayed or neutered to prevent illness and all sorts of other behavioral problems. (Just like some humans I know should be...oooh, did I just say that out loud?)
So, tallying up the scores, it looks like we have a tie. Two people missed 3 of the 10 answers (sorry Tim...were you by any chance taking a different quiz??). So I drew names. And...
Anne! You're the winner! Would you prefer PetSmart or Petco? Or do you have a local store with a Web site that sells gift certs? Lemme know. And congrats to you and your canine and feline pals. And to Ted, if he needs a new chew toy.