Skip to main content

QUIZ TIME

Let me preface this by saying that I took this information from the Internet, so I'm not going to vouch for its accuracy. And I'm not Alex Trebek, so I don't know the answer to everything and refuse to argue with you if you protest the correct responses.

This is what it is: a silly little trivia quiz, designed to make you think, laugh, cheat, go "hmmm", and quite possibly win something for your pet. It won't be anything lavish, so don't go getting Fido's hopes up. (How am I doing with the minimizing of the importance of this thing I just spent an hour researching...)

DON'T COMMENT with the answers. Instead, e-mail me your responses: amyschoon@hotmail.com. You have until 8 p.m. Tuesday. Then I'll tally up the answers and see who has the most correct. In the event of a tie, there could be a tiebreaker question, but most likely I'll be drawing names from a dog dish. The winner gets a $10 gift card/certificate to Petco or PetSmart -- your choice.

Good luck!


1. The word HAMSTER is derived from:
A. the german word hamstern, which means "to hoard."
B. the term hamfatter, made famous by an ancient minstrel song; means a showy performer
C. the Old English word for large-cheeked-one
D. the lesser form of the Anglo-French "monstre" or one who deviates from normal or acceptable behavior

2. The oldest confirmed specimen of COCKATIEL to be reported was:
A. 22 years old
B. 12 years old
C. 35 years old
D. 47 years old

3. True or False: The leading causes of accidental death in FERRETS are related to recliners and fold-out sofas.

4. Which of these foods enjoyed by humans has NOT been determined to be potentially deadly to DOGS?
A. Onions
B. Yogurt
C. Grapes
D. Macadamia Nuts

5. Myth or Fact: A CAT's sense of balance is in its whiskers.

6. The following people have something in common. They all have been reported to have owned the same type of pet. What KIND OF PET is it? Clint Eastwood, Angelina Jolie, Beatrix Potter, Teddy Roosevelt, Rupert Grint, Pink, and Marilyn Manson's mom

7. Which FISH is the most popular aquarium fish today?
A. Betta
B. Guppy
C. Goldfish
D. Catfish

8. Which DOG breed is not on the AKC's top 10 list for most popular breeds of 2009?
A. Bulldog
B. Shihtzu
C. German Shepherd
D. Boston Terrier

9. How many of the world's 3,000 SNAKES are venomous?
A. Only a dozen
B. Only 50
C. Only a few hundred
D. Nearly all

10. Which statement about RABBITS is false?
A. Rabbits are social and can be quite tame.
B. Rabbits can be litter trained.
C. Rabbits cannot be spayed or neutered.
D. Rabbits need hay and fresh vegetables in addition to food pellets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...