This is what it is: a silly little trivia quiz, designed to make you think, laugh, cheat, go "hmmm", and quite possibly win something for your pet. It won't be anything lavish, so don't go getting Fido's hopes up. (How am I doing with the minimizing of the importance of this thing I just spent an hour researching...)
DON'T COMMENT with the answers. Instead, e-mail me your responses: email@example.com. You have until 8 p.m. Tuesday. Then I'll tally up the answers and see who has the most correct. In the event of a tie, there could be a tiebreaker question, but most likely I'll be drawing names from a dog dish. The winner gets a $10 gift card/certificate to Petco or PetSmart -- your choice.
1. The word HAMSTER is derived from:
A. the german word hamstern, which means "to hoard."
B. the term hamfatter, made famous by an ancient minstrel song; means a showy performer
C. the Old English word for large-cheeked-one
D. the lesser form of the Anglo-French "monstre" or one who deviates from normal or acceptable behavior
2. The oldest confirmed specimen of COCKATIEL to be reported was:
A. 22 years old
B. 12 years old
C. 35 years old
D. 47 years old
3. True or False: The leading causes of accidental death in FERRETS are related to recliners and fold-out sofas.
4. Which of these foods enjoyed by humans has NOT been determined to be potentially deadly to DOGS?
D. Macadamia Nuts
5. Myth or Fact: A CAT's sense of balance is in its whiskers.
6. The following people have something in common. They all have been reported to have owned the same type of pet. What KIND OF PET is it? Clint Eastwood, Angelina Jolie, Beatrix Potter, Teddy Roosevelt, Rupert Grint, Pink, and Marilyn Manson's mom
7. Which FISH is the most popular aquarium fish today?
8. Which DOG breed is not on the AKC's top 10 list for most popular breeds of 2009?
C. German Shepherd
D. Boston Terrier
9. How many of the world's 3,000 SNAKES are venomous?
A. Only a dozen
B. Only 50
C. Only a few hundred
D. Nearly all
10. Which statement about RABBITS is false?
A. Rabbits are social and can be quite tame.
B. Rabbits can be litter trained.
C. Rabbits cannot be spayed or neutered.
D. Rabbits need hay and fresh vegetables in addition to food pellets.