Skip to main content

QUIZ TIME

Let me preface this by saying that I took this information from the Internet, so I'm not going to vouch for its accuracy. And I'm not Alex Trebek, so I don't know the answer to everything and refuse to argue with you if you protest the correct responses.

This is what it is: a silly little trivia quiz, designed to make you think, laugh, cheat, go "hmmm", and quite possibly win something for your pet. It won't be anything lavish, so don't go getting Fido's hopes up. (How am I doing with the minimizing of the importance of this thing I just spent an hour researching...)

DON'T COMMENT with the answers. Instead, e-mail me your responses: amyschoon@hotmail.com. You have until 8 p.m. Tuesday. Then I'll tally up the answers and see who has the most correct. In the event of a tie, there could be a tiebreaker question, but most likely I'll be drawing names from a dog dish. The winner gets a $10 gift card/certificate to Petco or PetSmart -- your choice.

Good luck!


1. The word HAMSTER is derived from:
A. the german word hamstern, which means "to hoard."
B. the term hamfatter, made famous by an ancient minstrel song; means a showy performer
C. the Old English word for large-cheeked-one
D. the lesser form of the Anglo-French "monstre" or one who deviates from normal or acceptable behavior

2. The oldest confirmed specimen of COCKATIEL to be reported was:
A. 22 years old
B. 12 years old
C. 35 years old
D. 47 years old

3. True or False: The leading causes of accidental death in FERRETS are related to recliners and fold-out sofas.

4. Which of these foods enjoyed by humans has NOT been determined to be potentially deadly to DOGS?
A. Onions
B. Yogurt
C. Grapes
D. Macadamia Nuts

5. Myth or Fact: A CAT's sense of balance is in its whiskers.

6. The following people have something in common. They all have been reported to have owned the same type of pet. What KIND OF PET is it? Clint Eastwood, Angelina Jolie, Beatrix Potter, Teddy Roosevelt, Rupert Grint, Pink, and Marilyn Manson's mom

7. Which FISH is the most popular aquarium fish today?
A. Betta
B. Guppy
C. Goldfish
D. Catfish

8. Which DOG breed is not on the AKC's top 10 list for most popular breeds of 2009?
A. Bulldog
B. Shihtzu
C. German Shepherd
D. Boston Terrier

9. How many of the world's 3,000 SNAKES are venomous?
A. Only a dozen
B. Only 50
C. Only a few hundred
D. Nearly all

10. Which statement about RABBITS is false?
A. Rabbits are social and can be quite tame.
B. Rabbits can be litter trained.
C. Rabbits cannot be spayed or neutered.
D. Rabbits need hay and fresh vegetables in addition to food pellets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.

Looking Forward

I just discovered this blog was still around (and miraculously, I remembered the password). I think I might kick the tires and take it out for a spin.  Our world has been in lockdown for a year, suffering a pandemic that has killed nearly 550,000 in the United States and 2.7 million globally. We've worn masks, maintained physical distance of at least 6 feet from others, washed and sanitized our hands, worked and schooled from home, dealt with (of all things) a toilet paper shortage, and given up most of our favorite activities (restaurant dining, movie theaters, live performances, family gatherings, and so on). We've endured people's stupidity, ignorance, racism, xenophobia, selfishness, indifference. We've also celebrated the "essential worker," those who put their lives at risk to make ours safer: grocery store employees, delivery drivers, healthcare professionals, educators ... all those whose jobs help ensure continuity of our country's infrastructure