Skip to main content

Page A1, above the fold??

In December, Henry's preschool Winter Wonderland pageant got postponed because of, ironically enough, snowy weather.

Last night, the snow fell again, but we all ignored it and trekked back to school for the make-up session. We almost forgot about it -- but, thanks to the miracle of Facebook, our friend Nicole's "status" line about her daughter's program served as the wake-up call.

And then we forgot the canned goods. This program was a food fund-raiser for the Johnson County Crisis Center. (I did pack up a few items this morning in hopes we weren't too late to help.)

The program was worth the wait -- kidlets in costumes of snowflakes and top hats, gingerbread people and reindeer, polar bears and penguins took the stage to sing such silly songs as the Reindeer Pokey and some sort of penguin song to the tune(ish) of "I'm a little teapot." My little penguin belted out his parts and did the little hand gestures and booty shaking with great gusto.

He didn't make it in the paper, but our friends' youngsters Avery and Daniel did. And the reporter quoted H's lead teacher, Brittney. Yes, that's the big news in our fair city. Aren't you jealous? The Chicago Trib has Blago. The Washington Post has a new administration. We have sniffling, diaper-clad toddlers singing for someone else's supper.

Actually...that doesn't sound so bad.

Updated to note that Henry DID actually make the paper, Tim reports. Just not the online site. So run right out to your newsstand...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awwwww! Wish we could have been there! Sorry the full story isn't online. Did we miss a picture of Henry? or a quote? Save your copy of the paper. . .
mom

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...