Skip to main content

It' s like the whole state got Febreezed

Sniffsniffsniff. What's that smell?

What? You smell nothing? (Besides the putrid odor of stagnant, sewage-filled flood water) You can breathe deeply, secure in the knowledge that pesky carcinogens aren't hightailing it to your bronchial tubes?

Yes, readers. Rejoice. July 1 has arrived. The day Iowa goes smoke-free.

Well, theoretically.

Starting today, it is illegal to light up in the following:
Bars; restaurants; restaurants' outdoor seating areas; financial institutions; public and private educational facilities; health care provider locations; laundries; schools; public transportation facilities, including buses and taxicabs, and the ticketing, boarding and waiting areas of these facilities; reception areas; aquariums, galleries, libraries and museums; retail food production and marketing establishments; service establishments; retail stores; shopping malls; entertainment venues, including theaters, concert halls, auditoriums and other similar facilities or sports arenas; polling places; convention facilities and meeting rooms; waiting rooms; public buildings and places of public assembly owned, leased or operated by the state; private residences when used as child care facilities or health care provider locations; and child care facilities


Being a former smoker, I appreciate not only not having second-hand smoke invading my personal space (and that of my family) but also the fact that it won't be around to tempt me as much. It's gross yet addictive, which makes it, uh, grosser. And expensive - something like $5 or $6 a pack in town. If you get caught puffing in public now, you're subject to a $50 fine.

So I would invite you to make a trek to the big IC (all the roads are open and they're cleaning up the dead fish). We'll show you a fun, safe, healthy, tobacco-free good time. Well, maybe wait a couple weeks until the fights stop breaking out amongst the citizens suffering the nicotine withdrawals.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Former SMOKER????
A SMOKER????
When did THAT happen?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Your clueless sister, Anne
Amy said…
Well, I was quite the covert smoker. The asthmatic didn't want to hear everyone bitch at her about how horrible it was.

Remember after college, when I lost 40 lbs? Tahdah. Combine angst over a bad relationship and nicotine, and you've got a recipe that'll shed the pounds. Not saying it was healthy. It was what it was.

And Tim said he wouldn't date me if I smoked. Great incentive.

I know. Everyone's opinion of me is shot to hell. I'll just have to deal with it.

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.