Skip to main content

Signs and symptoms

Because I am in a "low" phase of my illness right now I find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning, string coherent thoughts together through the day, or lovingly care for my family. I wish I could escape. Find a way out. Disappear.

Two meds have been added to my daily cocktail, in an attempt to regulate whatever brain and body chemicals may be responsible for this latest shift. So I'm getting lithium for mood stabilization, combined with buspirone and Klonapin for anti anxiety, followed by a bedtime treat of trazodone to act as an antidepressant and sleep agent. As I was filling a prescription last night, the student pharmacist at CVS asks me "So, do you know what you're taking this for?" I wasn't sure whether to be offended that she thought I was so mentally unstable I didn't know what I was doing or to be frightened that she thinks there are large groups of people out there taking drugs and don't know why they're taking them.

I was reviewing a list of symptoms today for the "highs" and "lows" of bipolar disorder. It's hard to realize, when I'm as far down as I am right now, that what I'm feeling isn't just me needing to get a grip, to pull myself up by my boots and shrug it off. It's real. It hurts. And I'd like to know why I seem to find myself back in the depression again and again. I could use a little grandiosity and increased energy and flights of fancy. If I were to sway to the manic end of the spectrum a little more often, I'm not sure I'd complain. The times I've been there, I've enjoyed the feeling...however fleeting...

Symptoms of mania - the "highs" of bipolar disorder

Increased physical and mental activity and energy
Heightened mood, exaggerated optimism and self-confidence
Excessive irritability, aggressive behavior
Decreased need for sleep without experiencing fatigue
Grandiose delusions, inflated sense of self-importance
Racing speech, racing thoughts, flight of ideas
Impulsiveness, poor judgment, distractibility
Reckless behavior
In the most severe cases, delusions and hallucinations

Symptoms of depression - the "lows" of bipolar disorder

Prolonged sadness or unexplained crying spells
Significant changes in appetite and sleep patterns
Irritability, anger, worry, agitation, anxiety
Pessimism, indifference
Loss of energy, persistent lethargy
Feelings of guilt, worthlessness
Inability to concentrate, indecisiveness
Inability to take pleasure in former interests, social withdrawal
Unexplained aches and pains
Recurring thoughts of death or suicide

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thinking about you, girl! Hope things are beginning to get better. I'm here if you want to visit. I'm gonna e mail you my cell phone number.
I love you!
Kerry P.
Brianne said…
Y'know, I'm getting mad at these doctors. It sounds like they don't know what they're doing and not taking care of my aunt well enough.

But anyway, I hope those highs come more frequently for you. You deserve to be happy, darnit! :) And just remember that I love you, Amy!
Jenni said…
Amy - this low sucks! You need to get back to the middle, but it sure does stink that you have to take such a nasty cocktail to get there.

Hang in there. Call me if you or T or H need anything.

Jenni

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.