Skip to main content

Does he speak a different language?

I am confused.

On my way to work this morning, a story on NPR caught my attention. The topic: border security. It seems that not everyone is thrilled with President Bush's latest attempt to stick his ladle in the pot and stir up trouble.

Here's the gist. Mexico's president Vincente Fox calls up Bush and says whoa, you're really proposing putting National Guard units along the border? Bush says, it's to protect the American people from terrorists. Or undocumented motel-room cleaners. Or whatever.

Fox says, that's not a good thing. What are you doing? Militarization of your borders?

And Bush insists he's not militarizing the border. Just putting National Guard troops there.

Ok. Nevermind that the National Guard troops have been jacked around since this Iraq war started, being taken from their families and shipped to a place where they get shot at and blown up and killed. Nevermind that they have been stretched so thin, if we actually had an emergency in the U.S. (oh wait, we did...Katrina...and it proves my point)...there wouldn't be enough troops to do the job right. Nevermind that Bush is bringing this issue up to deflect attention from the fact that he's been spying on the American people via their phone records, a la the KGB in the Cold War USSR.

Here's my big beef:

military: armed services, military machine, war machine; the military forces of a nation; of or relating to the study of the principles of warfare; "military law"; characteristic of or associated with soldiers or the military

militarization: act of assembling and putting into readiness for war or other emergency: "mobilization of the troops"

Exactly what does Bush think the National Guard is?

Troops wear fatigues. Carry M16s. Drive tanks. Fly helicopters. Use howitzers. Go to war. Die.

What about that isn't military?

Comments

Brianne said…
Bush is a dumbass. Simple as that. I'm just mad because we have to put up with him for another two and a half years.

This morning on the radio show I listen to, they were laughing about the fact that Americans are pissed that his speech tonight is interrupting their shows' finales. We care more about our shows than Dubya talking about putting the National Guard on the border... and with good reason. He's an idiot. I wouldn't want to waste any time listening to his incoherent rambling.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...