Skip to main content

The Day After

Remember that made-for-TV movie from the early '80s that chronicled the aftermath of a full-on nuclear battle between Russia and Lawrence, Kansas?

OK, so today isn't as bad as all that, although reading some online coverage of yesterday's Republican smackdown in the midterm elections has that post-apocalyptic feel. Those of us loud and proud liberal, hippie, commie, pro-reproductive rights, LGBT-leaning, marriage-equality supporting, feminist bastards (shout out to antigoneawakens.com for "borrowing" a bit of that language) wept into our Wheaties this morning over the Democratic losses in gubernatorial, congressional, state, and local races across the country.

As an Iowan, I now have a new senator -- a pig-castrating, Hobby Lobby-loving, bible-thumping, vitriol-spewing woman named Joni Ernst. I've likened her to Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann, with shorter hair and soon-to-be more power than the other two (who are not currently in office amen, hallelujah). I'm hoping it will only take one term for the good folks of Iowa to realize the error of their ways. Unfortunately, six years holds a whole lot of possibility of mucking things up in the meantime.

Until now, Iowa had never elected a woman to office in Washington. I should be celebrating a win for womankind. Instead, I'm hanging my head and muttering, "Really? We couldn't do any better than that?"

My poor mother has it worse, I'm afraid. She lives in Kansas, where voters were THAT CLOSE to ousting two rather miserable politicians from positions of power. Instead, they get many more years of Governor Sam Brownback and Senator Pat Roberts cheering on their creationism and good ol' boyism and right-wing wackery.

On the bright side, and I'll admit it's not blindingly bright by any stretch of the imagination, 9:01 p.m. last night (as the polls closed here) marked the beginning of caucus season for the 2016 presidential race. We don't get much of a break from political ads, hand-shaking, baby-kissing, and robo-poll-calling here. At least we have renewed impetus to work as hard as we can to get a non-nutjob elected to lead our land.

Not that this will surprise anyone, but I'm pinning my hopes on Hillary. I caucused for her the first time around, and I was damn proud of her service as secretary of state. I also long for the days when there was a Clinton in the White House (cigars and blue Gap dresses notwithstanding).

We've come a long way, baby, as a nation of human beings who have begun to recognize and celebrate each other and our basic rights. For example, as of Nov. 4, 2014, same-sex couples can marry in 32 states plus the District of Columbia. I hope the elections of Nov. 4, 2014, didn't send us tumbling too far backwards.

Blogger's note: Thanks to some encouragement from Donn and Marlys and a few dear others on Facebook, I logged in and typed away for the first time in too long. It does feel good to be back. I had a rant that needed to be unleashed, and I didn't even realize it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.

Looking Forward

I just discovered this blog was still around (and miraculously, I remembered the password). I think I might kick the tires and take it out for a spin.  Our world has been in lockdown for a year, suffering a pandemic that has killed nearly 550,000 in the United States and 2.7 million globally. We've worn masks, maintained physical distance of at least 6 feet from others, washed and sanitized our hands, worked and schooled from home, dealt with (of all things) a toilet paper shortage, and given up most of our favorite activities (restaurant dining, movie theaters, live performances, family gatherings, and so on). We've endured people's stupidity, ignorance, racism, xenophobia, selfishness, indifference. We've also celebrated the "essential worker," those who put their lives at risk to make ours safer: grocery store employees, delivery drivers, healthcare professionals, educators ... all those whose jobs help ensure continuity of our country's infrastructure