Skip to main content

He's Henry. And he looks good in a hat.

Eleven years ago tonight, about this time, I woke quickly from a snooze to a strange, constricting pain. I ignored it for a bit, but by midnight, we were on the phone to the hospital, insisting I was in labor. The nice people on the other end of the line to labor and delivery figured we were first-time to-be parents. We had plenty of time, they said. By 2 a.m., we were, bags in hand, speeding away to University Hospital. Our doula didn't even believe us and told us to call her when I was actually in labor.

Despite all the doubters, I was, indeed, in labor, about 5 centimeters dilated. When the doula finally showed up, the show was almost over. Tim coached me through the pain and eventually relented when I insisted, boisterously and without any care for the drug-free birth plan I'd drafted, that I NEEDED DRUGS NOW. I barfed (they gloss over that in all the cutesy mommy-planning materials), I got a shot of something that made me relax but wouldn't harm Junior, my water broke, I pushed a bit, and tah-dah! Henry Theodore entered the world at about 7:35 a.m., Saturday, Nov. 8, 2003. 

When I realized what day it was, I sang to him: "I'm Henry on the 8th I am, Henry on the 8th I am, I am." I thought he was the most beautiful, angelic, amazing creature I'd ever seen. Now, when I look back at the pictures, he was actually fairly puffy and extraordinarily purple. And he could take some credit for me getting big as a house and waddling for weeks and having stitches in a place no one wants stitches. 

But I cannot imagine life without my Hennerbean or his wonderful daddy, who sent me a gorgeous bouquet of sunflowers and fall colors today. Tim said it was a Happy Friday present. I think it's a Happy Life present. Tomorrow we'll do gifts and party -- movie, pizza, and cake with Henry's fifth-grade buddies. We'll talk about how we can't believe how grown-up he's getting. We'll remember when he was in teeny onesies, or bouncing in a Johnny Jump-up, or riding his trike on the sidewalk. We'll groan as we think ahead: only two years until junior high. Only three years until he can learn to drive. Only 7 years until he heads off to college. 

Everyone says it. Even Ferris Bueller. "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." We're stopping. We're looking around. We don't want to miss a moment.  Happy Birthday, Henry Theo. Mommy loves you. 

Photos Copyright 2014 Tim Schoon

Comments

Unknown said…
Beautifully written! :) love it

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.

Looking Forward

I just discovered this blog was still around (and miraculously, I remembered the password). I think I might kick the tires and take it out for a spin.  Our world has been in lockdown for a year, suffering a pandemic that has killed nearly 550,000 in the United States and 2.7 million globally. We've worn masks, maintained physical distance of at least 6 feet from others, washed and sanitized our hands, worked and schooled from home, dealt with (of all things) a toilet paper shortage, and given up most of our favorite activities (restaurant dining, movie theaters, live performances, family gatherings, and so on). We've endured people's stupidity, ignorance, racism, xenophobia, selfishness, indifference. We've also celebrated the "essential worker," those who put their lives at risk to make ours safer: grocery store employees, delivery drivers, healthcare professionals, educators ... all those whose jobs help ensure continuity of our country's infrastructure