Skip to main content

Here We Are Again

Tonight is one of those nights when it seems every wall has crumbled in on me. Not everyone understands this. Most don't, in fact. I don't know whether it's a moon cycle or a menstrual cycle that has tipped the scales in depression's favor this time around. Maybe it's simply stress, from responsibilities of work and family and life in general. Maybe I could blame the end of daylight saving time, the lack of daylight and the downhill slide from fall to winter. It might be my meds conspiring to work against one another for whatever reason, the chemical cocktail no longer lubricating the right combination of serotonin reuptake mechanisms and neurotransmitters. 

If I could pinpoint the exact moment it all went to shit, maybe I could learn the trigger and keep a closer watch next time. Because there is always a next time. And just because life likes to mix things up, there's no use in pinpointing. Next time, there will be a new birthplace for sadness. 

Reminding myself that it won't always feel like this is a major mantra I'm supposed to dialogue in my head at times like this, according to my psychiatrist and my therapist and every psychobabble self-help book out there. I can say it, but that voice has competition with many others in my brain. I have a symphony of self-talk in there. 

It won't always feel like this. 
But it feels horrible now. 
I can't move. I can't think. 
I don't want to go anywhere or do anything. 
I hate everything. I hate myself. 
I'm fat. I'm lazy. I'm a horrible mom. 
Why doesn't Tim just leave me? I'd leave me, if I could. 
Work sucks, but I'm stuck. I can't bear another rejection letter. 
How do I get through another day? 
How do I get through the next hour? 
The next five minutes? The next sixty seconds? 

I feel very alone during these times in the downward spiral to the deep, dark pit of despair. The people who love me don't know what to say or do to help. I don't know what to tell them when they ask. I just want to climb under flannel sheets and quilted comforters in the darkness and sleep for days. I would take a sick day tomorrow, but I used them all up long ago. We only get five a year. Someone with a mood disorder could blow through that in a week. Probably the first week in January, with the holidays over and winter winds howling. 

There have been times in the past when I felt like this, tired and trapped and completely exhausted, and ended up in the hospital, in a locked unit, with doctors trying this new mood stabilizer or that antipsychotic in an effort to bring me up from the depths, back to the surface. Days in the hospital involve personal therapy, group therapy, meditation, and lots of time to focus on me and how to find stability again.  They send me home when i seem a little brighter and I promise that any thoughts of harming myself have passed. 

I know that my depression, and the wild hypomanic swings in the other direction that complete my diagnosis of bipolar disorder, are not character flaws or ruts to snap out of. They are real. They are debilitating. Painful. Suffocating. Relentless. 

Sometimes I simply say, "My brain is broken." Tonight it's my heart and my spirit. 

Comments

While you're right I don't really understand, I hear you and am sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

Who knew...

'Tis the season for bridal bliss. 'Tis also the season for the accompanying reception dance. And what's a wedding reception without that most unique of all marriage celebration dance numbers: The Chicken Dance. You know the drill. Polka starts, beak-quacking hand gestures, flapping, butt shimmying, and clapping ensue. A fun time is had by all (especially if there's an open bar). What you may not know is that: 1. This oom-pah song's origins rest with a Swiss according player named Werner Thomas who wrote it, most accounts say, in the 1950s. It originally was called the Duck Dance. 2. It is NOT German or Austrian, despite the images its roll-out-the-barrel-ish feelings it might conjure up. 3. A fellow named Norm Edlebeck, who was a bandleader from Wisconsin, introduced America to the Chicken Dance on TV's PM Magazine in 1982. 4. More than 140 versions of it have been recorded worldwide, including Walt Disney Records, together making more than 40,000,000 records (o...