Skip to main content

Fall Cleaning

I would be the first person to admit my housekeeping quirks. Perhaps that's a nice way of saying I'm a slob. I haven't always been that way. When I was a kid, I loved having a clean bedroom, with everything in its place, the decorative pillows stacked neatly on a freshly made bed. Somewhere along the way, though, I decided not to sweat the details. I started tossing junk in drawers, underneath beds, in corners of the closet.

Since the kid was born, the clutter has increased 100 times, it seems. What to do with the piles of clothes, toys, school papers, craft projects, baby teeth, and so on? All those LEGOs! They are everywhere. They seem to multiply like sewer rats. And they seem to find the bottoms of my bare feet like magnets to sharp, jagged metal.

This fall, I've decided to do something about the mess. I created a spreadsheet to organize a plan for cleaning, color coded by room and divided into particular tasks within each room to break down the monstrous tasks into bite-sized segments easier to complete. Nothing thrills me more than crossing off items on a to-do list. I'm a geek as well as a slob.

I've started with the upstairs, the living spaces that, once devoid of clutter and dust bunnies, help me settle into a sense of calm I have not felt in quite some time. So far, I've checked off the guest room (please visit so I can show off!), the guest bathroom, some hall closets, and parts of the kitchen, living room, and master bedroom. I am anticipating completing the first floor by the end of the month. Then comes the real challenge: the basement. It's cold, dark, spidery, and a general pit of doom. Whenever there's anything we don't want to deal with or look at on a daily basis, it goes there. Maneuvering through the piles has become an epic obstacle course. I challenge you to find the floor. I'm sure it's still there, but I haven't seen it for months.

The goal is to rid the basement of all unnecessary junk, designate one corner for storage, and then work to "finish" the living room and Tim's office. Goodwill, you better set aside serious space; you've been warned. We need to bring in an electrician to wire for extra outlets and lighting, and then we need to get some drywall up. Eventually, we plan to put the TV in the basement, install surround-sound, and set up Tim's space -- affectionately known as "The Man Room." Making the basement homey and livable will nearly double the finished space in our house. It will be like moving to a bigger space, but without the relocation costs and manual labor.

I have other plans, too. Tim installed beautiful laminate flooring through most of the first floor a while back and, once we complete the ceramic tile entry way, we can finish up some woodworking details and call the flooring project complete, once and for all. I would also love to install a screened-in or three-season porch on our back deck as well.

One step at a time, though. That's becoming my mantra, not only for cleaning but for life in general.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.

Looking Forward

I just discovered this blog was still around (and miraculously, I remembered the password). I think I might kick the tires and take it out for a spin.  Our world has been in lockdown for a year, suffering a pandemic that has killed nearly 550,000 in the United States and 2.7 million globally. We've worn masks, maintained physical distance of at least 6 feet from others, washed and sanitized our hands, worked and schooled from home, dealt with (of all things) a toilet paper shortage, and given up most of our favorite activities (restaurant dining, movie theaters, live performances, family gatherings, and so on). We've endured people's stupidity, ignorance, racism, xenophobia, selfishness, indifference. We've also celebrated the "essential worker," those who put their lives at risk to make ours safer: grocery store employees, delivery drivers, healthcare professionals, educators ... all those whose jobs help ensure continuity of our country's infrastructure