Skip to main content

A cat. Really?

There's a cat up a tree in Iowa City.

Normally, that might lead to curious chatter with one's neighbors.

But this made the local news. The evening news. The lead story on the evening news.

The news hook to this story? The fire department refused to come rescue the feline from its 30-foot perch on the grounds that the cat had already bitten two people who had tried to rescue it and daring a rescue would only put the firefighters at undue risk.

Undue risk? These men and women rush into burning buildings all the time. They're afraid a 10-pound tabby will nip at them? Ooh. I'm shaking in my boots.

The cat was up there for five days, mewling and screeching pathetically. It was keeping the neighbors up, both with the noise and the concerns that the poor thing would waste away from lack of nourishment and exposure to the elements.

Finally, yesterday morning, a local plumber rented a cherry-picker and swooped in to save the day. Kitty is resting at the animal shelter, being treated for an upper respiratory ailment.

A friend joked that we have slow news days now that the caucuses are over.

I joked that if they really wanted a story, they could come over to my house. My DOG climbs the tree out back. It wouldn't be much of a tale though. Maggie knows how to get back down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.