Skip to main content

Treat day. Really.

Our company rewards us quarterly for our hard work and dedication to the company by hosting "Treat Day." This is a day where the company provides sugary snacks to employees. This is the same company that has been sending us nutritional pamphlets and books on how to be healthier. This is the same company that has been advertising its upcoming participation in a Global Corporate Health Challenge. This is the same company that bemoans the fact its health care premiums are skyrocketing because its employees are so sedentary and fat and generally unhealthy.

Makes perfect sense, eh.

Used to be that the company would also provide apples on "Treat Day" so that those trying to watch their calories would have a reward as well. The company stopped doing that. When no one ate the fruit.

So here I sit, on "Treat Day," having to deal with the fact that a giant plate of cream cheese brownies is sitting in the empty cube right next to me.

Truthfully, I'm not that tempted. I like the way 24.4-pounds-lighter feels on me these days. That's how much I've lost on Jenny Craig since I started in December. I've dropped at least a pants size. I can run more than a mile without stopping. I can walk more than 10,000 steps a day.

And I can say no to cream cheese brownies. Sitting. By. My. Desk. All. Day.

It's ok. I have a Jenny Brownie waiting for me at home after dinner tonight. Happy "Treat Day" to me. And in August, when I fit into that two-piece swimsuit, that will be treat enough.

Truthfully, if the company wanted to reward me for my hard work, I'd take a few bucks extra in my paycheck. You know. If anyone asks...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...