Skip to main content

Too much excitement

I'm a little bit jumpy. And with good reason.

I live on a street where people shoot out the back window of your car. That's reason enough to be on edge. Then, last night around 9 p.m., I started smelling smoke wafting through the house. At the same time, through the open windows, I heard several neighbors talking about the smell and suggesting that the vacant foreclosure house might be on fire. Within a couple minutes, every fire engine in town was lined up on our street, lights blazing.

Firefighters in full gear were wandering the neighborhood, trying to figure out where the smell was coming from. They never did figure it out. But nothing burst into flames, so they left. Personally, I think maybe several people had their grills going at the same time and created a stronger odor than usual. I did speculate that the fire, when we thought it actually WAS a fire, had something to do with the fact that the guy who used to live there IS a firefighter. Maybe someone was messing with him? Maybe he's a closet pyromaniac? Maybe I watch too much Law and Order.

About half an hour after the burning-smell incident, I heard raised voices outside our front window and went to investigate. That's when I saw the incredibly inebriated woman stumbling down the sidewalk, slapping at the guy walking next to her, and screaming choice expletives along the way.

A couple minutes after that, a police car with lights (and maybe sirens, although at this point, I was so jittery I can't really remember) went screaming past our house and off to the north.

Happy holiday. Police must hate the holidays. Especially in our neighborhood.

In an interesting related development, Henry was checking out the police officer's belt of weapons and cop tools when we were filing the report on the broken window. And he was excited to learn about a new weapon: the taser. "Mommy, what's a taser?" "It's a weapon that, when it touches you, it shocks you and sort of stuns you into behaving." "Oh. So it won't kill ya, it'll just knock ya out."

Life lessons from Lakeside Drive. Lovely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel