Skip to main content

Cold Lunch Habit


Only two more days and Henry will have made it through his entire first year in public school without ever eating school lunch. Which means Mom has packed a significant number of sack lunches in his Star Wars lunch pail since August.

I'm so bored with his lunch. He seems fine with it. He's never encountered a peanut butter sandwich he wasn't wholly in love with. Which is good because he doesn't like much of anything else. Sometimes I get really wacky and make turkey baloney instead. or even ham and cheese. But no mayo, please, just plain bread, and if I'd cut the crusts off, that'd be the best.

Along with the sandwich, there's usually some chips or crackers, a piece of fruit, a juice box, occasionally a package of string cheese, and dessert (usually fruit snacks because ALL the cool kids at school bring fruit snacks -- *sigh*).

Once in a while, when I just can't stand the monotony anymore, I whip up some mac and cheese and plop it in his Thermos container. Or I make "homemade Lunchables"...litle squares of meat and cheese and Ritz crackers. Or, rarely, I'll send him some yogurt.

If I eat the same Weight Watchers frozen meal for lunch more than twice a month, I whine about it. I must give the kid credit. He never complains about my lunches. Mostly, because he knows he could be subjected to cardboard pizza or mystery concoctions like "tuna pinwheel surprise." I ate school lunch with him once this year. Once was more than enough for me. I don't blame him at all.

In fact, I rather enjoy knowing exactly what he's eating for lunch and how much. His scraps and empty bags and boxes stay stuffed in his pail for me to clean out. It's the one time I don't mind having to clean up after him. We'll see how long it takes for him to learn to swap food with other kids or throw 3/4 of a sandwich away so I won't know he didn't finish.

He still has about $18 of the $20 in lunch money we started with on his school lunch account -- I used his lunch card to buy my lunch the day I visited. I'm curious whether we can manage to use up the money by the time he graduates high school...

Comments

Crystal said…
I'm like you and can't eat the same thing everyday, I don't even like to eat leftovers from the night before! But Kinley and Regan LOVE to eat lunch at school! Kinley whines and gripes if I make her lunch... I just wish it didn't cost me an arm and a leg! Regan on the other hand I can totally understand why she doesn't want to take her lunch... She's in the big middle school now ya know and they have choices! Pizza, salad bar, potato bar, nacho bar, and of course the regular ole school lunches too. Now Nate, since he'll be going to school all day next year will want me to pack his lunch I'm sure... The boys LIVES on peanut butter and jelly!:)
Sondra said…
Impressive! Here's a blog you might appreciate.

http://fedupwithschoollunch.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.

Looking Forward

I just discovered this blog was still around (and miraculously, I remembered the password). I think I might kick the tires and take it out for a spin.  Our world has been in lockdown for a year, suffering a pandemic that has killed nearly 550,000 in the United States and 2.7 million globally. We've worn masks, maintained physical distance of at least 6 feet from others, washed and sanitized our hands, worked and schooled from home, dealt with (of all things) a toilet paper shortage, and given up most of our favorite activities (restaurant dining, movie theaters, live performances, family gatherings, and so on). We've endured people's stupidity, ignorance, racism, xenophobia, selfishness, indifference. We've also celebrated the "essential worker," those who put their lives at risk to make ours safer: grocery store employees, delivery drivers, healthcare professionals, educators ... all those whose jobs help ensure continuity of our country's infrastructure