Skip to main content

It's not low cal. But it has a saucy kick!


I entered a chili cookoff at work, with proceeds from the sale of the chili going to our United Way campaign. I didn't win. But a big deal upper management type said it was her personal favorite and asked for the recipe! So I thought I'd share with y'all too.

It's not your typical spicy chili. It's more of a sweet-and-sour pork stew. I ate a bit and thought it was the best non-chili chili I've ever eaten.

Give it a try. Best thing: it's a really simple slow cooker meal.

Sweet Pork Slow Cooker Chili

Ingredients
2 pounds ground pork
1 pkg (4 large links) fully cooked Chicken & Apple Sausage, cut into bite-size
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced small (or I used canned)
1 yellow bell peppers, diced
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
3/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup chopped baby corn
1 1/4 cups hard apple cider (it's alcoholic...cooks off...)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon molasses (I used sweet sorghum)
1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper (I used a mix of cayenne pepper and chili powder)
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Directions
1. Cook the ground pork in a skillet over medium heat until completely browned; drain.

2. Combine the cooked pork, sausage, tomato, bell pepper, pineapple, beans, kernel corn, tomato paste, onion, baby corn, cider, garlic, brown sugar, salt, paprika, pepper, molasses, ancho chile pepper, sage, curry powder, cinnamon, honey, and vinegar in a large slow cooker; stir.

3. Set slow cooker to High. Cook at least 4 hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...