Skip to main content

Lose for Good

I've refrained from talking on this blog about my current weight loss program, for fear my yammering on about points and lowfat and such might send you all running for the hills (but hey, that's heart-healthy activity, too, right?). Instead, I started a second blog, on which I blab about all things healthy-lifestyle related, track my progress, follow other diet blogs (although I think I've tried to ditch that "diet" word from my vocab).

However, I'm proud of the weight-loss company with which I have aligned myself, not only because I'm finding success BUT because it seems I am helping to combat hunger around the globe! I can't imagine being hungry. When I say I'm hungry, I really mean I'm having a craving for a peanut butter cup Blizzard or a large supreme pizza. Kids all over the world -- including in our country, most likely in my neighborhood -- go to bed hungry. They wake up to hunger. Their tummies rumble throughout the day. The United Nations estimates that a child in the world dies every six seconds from conditions related to malnutrition.

Breaks my heart.

Anyway, Weight Watchers just started its second annual Lose for Good campaign, which raises awareness about two global epidemics -- obesity and hunger. From the WW corporate office:

According to the National Health & Nutrition Examination Survey, 66% of U.S. adults are either overweight or obese. In juxtaposition to the obesity epidemic, a USDA report shows that 36.2 million people in the United States (and more than a billion people worldwide) do not have nutritionally adequate and safe foods available to them. Everyday, Weight Watchers helps people lose weight in a sustainable way by helping them adopt a healthier lifestyle and a healthier relationship with food and activity.


I'm interested in seeing what kinds of Lose for Good information will be talked about in our upcoming meetings. The national office has suggested members bring canned and packaged food to meetings, to be distributed to a local food bank. Last year, in the campaign's inaugural year, WW collected 1.5 million pounds of food to feed hungry people in communities across the globe.

To donate directly to the cause, visit Lose for Good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.