Skip to main content

Gonna get the box of 64? With the sharpener??

When I was pregnant, I never once thought about this weekend. I thought about onesies and diapers and breastfeeding, first steps, potty training, Christmases on Santa's lap, babysitters, sticky fingers, giggles, Legos...not once did I think about shopping for school supplies.

In denial? When I think now about shopping for school supplies, I want to throw up. Not because I'm apprehensive about Henry. He's a strong, adaptive, smart boy who makes friends easily and charms most grownups. No, my anxiety about Henry starting school is directly related to my own feelings about new school years when I was growing up. I hated not knowing who my teacher and classmates would be. I worried about whether I would understand the lessons. I fretted about recess and whether other kids would play with me. I lamented the fact that other kids always went cool places for summer vacation; I usually didn't. I was a bundle of nerves, way back when. No wonder I'm a psychological disaster area today. I've had 30-plus years of practice.

I did love getting a new lunch pail and a fresh box of crayons, though. Neat stuff sometimes makes the emotional moments a little easier. Tax-free weekend makes it easier for Mommy's pocketbook, too. And so we're off to buy some Kleenex and colored pencils and Elmer's glue for the classroom's communal supply closet, along with a new backpack, naptime towel, and tennis shoes for the boy.

I'm trying not to transfer my back-to-school prejudices and hangups to H-man. Really, he's already been doing kindergarten-like activities for years in his awesome preschool. This should be...old school.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm excited for Henry! Is he getting the Z Strap shoes?
(When did you ever carry a lunch pail?!)
mom
Amy said…
I had a few lunch boxes over the years. Remember my allergies??? I couldn't eat anything normal for a long time.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...