Skip to main content

There's work, and then there's WORK

I don't know whether it's because the weather outside is too gorgeous to waste, or I'm burned out on work, or my crazy-pill cocktail isn't quite what it needs to be to keep me from going loosey-goosey...but I am just in a funk. I get to work every morning thinking, "I would rather be anywhere than here."

It's not the work itself. I rather enjoy checking for off-kilter grammar and misplaced punctuation. I'm sick and twisted that way. It's just that I feel like the world is waiting, and I'm just sitting in an artificially climate-controlled and lighted cubicle, missing out on fun.

I stayed up until 1 a.m. last night (this morning??), baking Tim a German chocolate cake and cleaning some clutter that found its way into my sewing room/office after a friend bought our baby dresser that had been doubling as my freelance business's storage. Until about 12:30 a.m., you couldn't actually see the top of the guest bed. It was covered with piles of magazines that have stories I wrote in them, as well as heaps of old computer equipment and cords and clarinet paraphernalia and holiday cards from three years ago and a bunch of art supplies (note to self: pastels and charcoal sketching -- yet another thing I'd rather be doing). Those things are off the bed now. Hooray! (Nevermind that they're now stacked on the floor and other assorted tabletops in the room...at least it's SEMI-ORGANIZED chaos.)

I think everyone should be given a week off from work to do nothing but clean and sort and organize and get the house "just so," so that the rest of the year we could enjoy the space. I might need two weeks. The basement is a pit. Like the first 25 years of my life exploded. Mom and Dad brought all the boxes they'd been storing in their house a while back and I really need to sort through the crap. What's the shelf life of a junior-year-high-school term paper on Elizabeth Barrett Browning? Would I regret it someday if I tossed it? How about Teen Beat posters of Wham! and Scott Baio?

Maybe I do need my head examined (or my meds adjusted) if I would rather be scouring my teen angst from an unfinished basement than be at work. Of course, it's July in Iowa...the basement's a lot cooler than most places. And it would be work I chose to do, not something someone forced me to do.

For now, it's back to the land of split infinitives and subject-verb agreement. The fun world of decluttering will have to wait.

Comments

Anonymous said…
And if you did have two free weeks (or even one), would there be something else more pressing (or at least more exciting) beckoning you? I'm thinking YES!!! Trouble is, the kind of "cleaning" facing you is not the kind that can be assigned to anyone else. It's hard for me to part with my old stuff. But I do sometimes get it rearranged into different "piles!"
Good Luck! mom
AnneR said…
I would much rather go through remains of my teenage years (Tiger Beat posters and all) than go to work, and I theoretically am passionate about my new career. So there. Wallow away! But have meds adjusted too. That never hurts.

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.

Looking Forward

I just discovered this blog was still around (and miraculously, I remembered the password). I think I might kick the tires and take it out for a spin.  Our world has been in lockdown for a year, suffering a pandemic that has killed nearly 550,000 in the United States and 2.7 million globally. We've worn masks, maintained physical distance of at least 6 feet from others, washed and sanitized our hands, worked and schooled from home, dealt with (of all things) a toilet paper shortage, and given up most of our favorite activities (restaurant dining, movie theaters, live performances, family gatherings, and so on). We've endured people's stupidity, ignorance, racism, xenophobia, selfishness, indifference. We've also celebrated the "essential worker," those who put their lives at risk to make ours safer: grocery store employees, delivery drivers, healthcare professionals, educators ... all those whose jobs help ensure continuity of our country's infrastructure