Skip to main content

Quest for healthier living

Those people on The Biggest Loser. I want to be them. I want to take six months off work, workout all day long, and eat 1,200 healthy calories a day until I lose this __ lbs. I need to, to get my BMI L.O.W. P.D.Q.

Since that's not feasible from a financial standpoint, I've resorted to goals of 50 minutes of exercise daily (a combo of spin, walking, running, cardio machines, and yoga). I am eating 1,200-1,400 calories per day, focusing on eating 5-9 fruits and veggies a day and sticking with the following percentages: 45-65% of calories from carbs, 20-35% from fat, and 10-35% from protein. And I'm trying to rid myself of habits that seem to be my dietary downfall: emotional eating, lazy snacking (hello, couch potato), and fast food restaurants.

I'm keeping track of everything on www.fitday.com. It's a free site that calculates, motivates, and offers space for a daily journal entry. At the end of week 1, I've lost 2 pounds.

Meantime, I'm trying to stay motivated by reading success stories online and figuratively devouring Prevention magazine. It's 99 cents an issue, a steal these days. Parts of the publication are online, too.

I ran across one article I was particularly attracted to for obvious reasons. "Eat Like Skinny Women: 8 Secrets of the Naturally Slim" The headline goes on to say: "Act like you're a size smaller, and you'll be a size smaller. How thin women thrive in a supersized world."

Running the risk of copyright infringement, I'm going to reveal these 8 secrets. I had a lot of "well, duh" moments reading it. I'll never be "naturally" slim. But I'd get a kick out of being a poseur.

1. They choose satisfied over stuffed. On a fullness scale of 1-10, skinny women stop eating at a 6 or 7. Suggestion: halfway through your meal, put down your fork and rate your level of fullness.
2. They realize hunger isn't an emergency. It's not a condition that needs to be cured. Suggestion: Try skipping an afternoon snack one day.
3. They don't use food to cure the blues. Or if they do, they recognize the signs and stop. Suggestion: Add the word "halt" to your vocabulary: acronym for hungry, angry, lonely or tired. If you truly are hungry, eat a handful of nuts until your meal. Otherwise, blow off steam, exercise, call a friend, or sleep.
4. They eat more fruit, more fiber, and less fat per day. Suggestion: Tinker with your diet, figuring out how to add more whole fruits.
5. They're creatures of habit. Majority of meals for them consist of well-planned staples with a surprise thrown in here or there. Suggestion: Try to eat as consistenty as possible with your major meals - cereal for breakfast, salad for lunch, etc.
6. They have a self-control gene. Seriously, women with low disinhibition (finely tuned sense of restraint) have the lowest BMI. Suggestion: Prepare ahead for these moments of low restraint -- promise yourself you'll only eat every fourth hors d'oevre.
7. They're movers and shakers. Skinny women are on their feet an average of 2 1/2 extra hours a day. Suggestion: wear a pedometer. See just how much you move. Move more.
8. They sleep -- WELL. Skinny women snooze two more hours a week compared with the rest of us. Lack of sleep is linked with lower levels of appetite suppressing hormones and increased levels of appetite boosting hormones. Suggestion: work toward 8 hours of sleep a night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...