Skip to main content

Day 14 -- Best Teacher Ever

Day 14 -- Your favorite elementary school teacher...


It has to be Miss Wilson, my fifth grade teacher. She was the best! She was young and vibrant, funny and smart and patient, and she always treated us as though we were older than we actually were. Even when we didn't act it. She seemed to respect us and our opinions.

My favorite thing about her was her taste in books. Specifically, the books she chose to read to us when we came back from lunch. I treasured that time more than any other in the day. She turned out the lights, gathered us in a corner of the room, and swept us into fictional lands and scenarios that stick in my head to this day. The Westing Game, The Headless Cupid, and The Witch of Blackbird Pond are the first to come to mind.

One of the many reasons I hated ELP -- the extended learning (gifted...gag) program they stuck me in starting in third grade -- was because a couple days a week I had to skip Miss Wilson's reading time to go work on creative problem solving and practice being a nerd. Of course, being her awesome self, Miss Wilson understood my frustration and disappointment. Therefore, on those days when we knew I'd be gone, she seemed to free up some time in my schedule so that I could read ahead and not fall behind the class on plot developments. I had to promise, though, not to tell anyone what happens ahead of time. No one wanted to ruin the surprise twists and turns for anyone else.

At the end of my fifth-grade year, Miss Wilson announced that she was getting married to a guy named Pat, I think, who I recall was so tall she had to stand on a chair to kiss him. Or maybe she only joked about that. He was a cutie. They made an adorable couple. Then she moved away, and I have no idea what happened to her. I wonder now and then whether she continued to teach, or whether she had kids of her own, and I wonder how many other folks out there were lucky enough to share such a special storytime.

Comments

AnneR said…
I LOVED The Westing Game!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...