Skip to main content

Honesty of a child

My kiddo is so sweet. Even when he's insulting me.

Yesterday, Henry put his arms around me and told me he was sorry that I "was not feeling so well."

He gave me a squeeze, and then looked up at me with his beautiful, big brown eyes and an innocent smile and said, "Mommy. You are really round. You know that? Really round."

Yow. I couldn't scold him for being rude, because he was sort of stating a fact. And he was doing it so adorably. He, after all, didn't come right out and rudely say, "Geez mom, you're fat." Which is, I'm certain, what he really meant.

I haven't been working out in weeks, most recently because I've been sick but, overall, because it's been awful weather and all I really want to do is nosh on carbs and sleep.

Henry's sweet reminder is my official signal to put down the pastries and slowly walk away. Or even better, run away. Burn more calories that way.

By the way, I was trying to probe a bit into Henry's thoughts about his comment, so I said, "I'm round, huh. How about you? Are you round?"

He looked back up at me with disgust and said, "No. Of course not. I'm skinny. Really skinny."

Well, I think he's perfect, no matter what. But I must say, the delusions start at an early age. Because "skinny" is not exactly a word I've ever used to describe my boy...Mr. 20th percentile for height, 95th percentile for weight.

Comments

AnneR said…
1. Love the new blog layout.
2. May we all be as blissfully ignorant of our chub as dear Henry is.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...