Skip to main content

The Joy of the Holidays

There's nothing quite like getting together with all sorts of friends and family at the holidays and spreading around the love. Oh, and the ghastly germs.

We survived Thanksgiving day. It was the day after that turned our Black Friday into a dark day, indeed. Henry woke puking early Friday a.m., just as the rest of the country was being trampled in malls for doorbuster deals. His uncle got it around the same time, and by late that afternoon, on the inlaws' drive back home, the bug hit Tim's mom.

Tim and I got a somewhat subdued version of the illness, but it was miserable, all the same. (The only bright spot in all this was the fact that it was NOT my food that caused the illness. Henry ate a peanut butter sandwich instead of turkey on Thanksgiving, and he had a fever, which is NOT a food poisoning symptom. Whew.)

So there goes our four-day weekend, down the toilet. Literally.

I think I'm going to quarantine us for Christmas. No one goes in or out. And we're leaving a bottle of Purell for Santa, instead of the cookies. Wash up, big guy.

Comments

I sure am sorry that nasty bug hit you all so hard and swiftly. Glad everyone's on the upswing, now, though.

Here's hoping for a healthy entire December for you and your clan, from your birthday to New Year's Eve! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...