Skip to main content

A winner

This commercial might be the one thing an American car company has done right in the last decade or two. It's a GM spot playing during Olympic coverage and the first time I heard it, I wasn't actually in the room, and was certain it must be an iPod commercial, the music was just THAT good.

The song is called "The Story" by Brandi Carlile, and if you search for her on You Tube, you can actually see her video instead of the crappy-car ad. She reminds me of a younger mixture of Alanis Morisette and Melissa Etheridge (hey, Melissa, where you AT?! btw).

If you haven't heard this song on the radio yet, I'm predicting you will. Soon. I'd give the girl a gold medal for her performance. I actually Wiki'ed her and found out I might be the one late to the party for this girl's fame...she had a bunch of songs featured on Gray's Anatomy, and her Story video debuted there. And she has toured with Tori Amos and The Indigo Girls. So we're all in agreement. Her sound rocks.

Comments

Cherie Moore said…
I agree! I'm totally captivated by Brandi Carlile's song. I'll bet even Chilly Dog likes it ;-)
Tim said…
Watch the ad next time. It's as good as the song. Much better than their cars...
Amy said…
See, I knew I wasn't alone!!

Ok...Zoofan...who are you??! Initials, at least...
Brianne said…
Speaking of commercials, did you know that one Taco Bell guy (in the elevator - queso crunch wrap) is my MySpace friend? :) Wow, how much do I owe you for that teeny little piece of advice you gave me nearly 15 years ago... "Catch them before they're famous." Words to live by, words to live by.
Chilly Dog said…
Who are you zoofan? Are you making fun of me? Are you saying that I don't have good taste? Why are you picking on me?

Chilly Dog
AnneR said…
I'm loving the Olympics ads. My fave? The Coke one with the birds who build a stadium-shaped nest. But this song is great--thanks for doing the research on it for us!
Cherie Moore said…
Amy, I'm Cherie, a quilting friend of your mother-in-law's and I enjoy your blog, especially the Henry entries.

Chilly Dog, I would never make fun of you ;-)
Amy said…
Well the mystery's solved! You had me stumped! I'm glad you're among my readers, zoofan.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

Who knew...

'Tis the season for bridal bliss. 'Tis also the season for the accompanying reception dance. And what's a wedding reception without that most unique of all marriage celebration dance numbers: The Chicken Dance. You know the drill. Polka starts, beak-quacking hand gestures, flapping, butt shimmying, and clapping ensue. A fun time is had by all (especially if there's an open bar). What you may not know is that: 1. This oom-pah song's origins rest with a Swiss according player named Werner Thomas who wrote it, most accounts say, in the 1950s. It originally was called the Duck Dance. 2. It is NOT German or Austrian, despite the images its roll-out-the-barrel-ish feelings it might conjure up. 3. A fellow named Norm Edlebeck, who was a bandleader from Wisconsin, introduced America to the Chicken Dance on TV's PM Magazine in 1982. 4. More than 140 versions of it have been recorded worldwide, including Walt Disney Records, together making more than 40,000,000 records (o...