Skip to main content

Season Seven: The Big Reveal

Oh golly. The tossing and turning, the sleepless nights can now come to an end. Your life is now fulfilled and complete, now that ABC has announced ... drumroll, please ... the upcoming lineup of sorta-celebrities for this fall's Dancing with the Stars!!!!

In no particular order (other than it's the way I copied it from the press release, which I'm sure was written for maximum effect) here they are. The professional partners are listed in parentheses --

Lance Bass (Lacey Schwimmer) -- The biggest disappointment about this star seems to be that the openly gay former N'Sync member was not going to be chachacha'ing with a male partner instead of a female one. I don't care who he dances with, he's my pick to win it all.

Rocco DiSpirito
(Karina Smirnoff) -- Can a professional chef cut a rug as well as he can chop veggies? We'll see. I hadn't heard of him before this morning, so I have no opinion either way. Where's Emeril?!

Misty May-Treanor
(Maksim Chmerkovskiy) -- Gosh, how'd the girl focus enough to win the Olympic gold medal in beach volleyball when she knew next up was learning to dance on national television, taught by a guy that makes KGB officers look like cocker spaniel puppies?

Maurice Greene
(Cheryl Burke) -- This gold-medal-winner from the Sydney Olympics probably has a good shot. He's a track star, though. It's finesse, not necessarily speed, that scores on DWTS. But big burly football players have done well, so stranger things have happened.

Toni Braxton
(Alec Mazo) -- She was a popular singer in the '90s and she's appeared on Broadway, but I'm concerned about this being dangerous for her health. She reportedly had heart problems recently that caused her to put a tour on hold. I guess this show's always looking for some Osmond-style fainting or other such drama.

Kim Kardashian (Mark Ballas) -- This girl's famous like Paris is famous. Not for doing anything extraordinary, unless you count having a notorious parent (her father was O.J.'s lawyer) and making a sex tape. I'm disappointed this dud is paired with my favorite male DWTS professional.

Cody Linley (Julianne Hough) -- This 18-year-old is a friend of Hannah Montana's. As my 4-year-old son would say with a screwed-up face, "Hannah Montana. Ewww. Yuk."

Cloris Leachman
(Corky Ballas) -- I heard that they're prepared to use the dump button/five-second delay for live broadcasts because of this feisty Academy- and Emmy-award-winning actress's tendency to say what she thinks when she thinks it. Or perhaps before she thinks better of it. She's in her 80s. She's no Lance Bass, but I'm quietly cheering her on.

Ted McGinley
(Inna Brayer) -- Good old Ted -- a replacement character on Married...With Children, The Love Boat, Happy Days and Dynasty -- was dubbed the patron saint of "jumping the shark" by jumptheshark.com founder Jon Hein in reference to the popular and enduring shows which have featured him in their declining years. Perhaps his appearance signals the beginning of the end of DWTS. Some of you would hope.

Brooke Burke
(Derek Hough) -- Well, she's hot. Those are the words my husband uttered when I announce this list to him. Probably not the last time I'll hear them, either. Here's to hoping the TV personality and model gets the boot quickly.

Jeffrey Ross
(Edyta Sliwinska) -- Actor, director, stand-up comic and ... here's where this particular pick gets interesting ... INSULT COMIC. He'll make fun of himself, everyone else on stage, and all of us pathetic dweebs watching at home. Can't wait.

Warren Sapp
(Kym Johnson) -- Token football player of the season, I'm sure he'll do well. I just can't like him. He played for the Bucs and the Raiders. I like him about as much as I like Hannah's little boyfriend (see above).

Susan Lucci
(Tony Dovolani) -- It took Susan Lucci 18 failed nominations before she finally won an Emmy. I don't see her having any better success with latin and ballroom. But she has a boatload of rabid daytime fans who will have her toll-free vote-for-me number programmed in their speed dial before her heels hit the dance floor.

DWTS Season Seven begins at 8 p.m. (Eastern time), Sept. 22 on ABC. I'm not doing a rundown of who will lose when this time. Because, one, no one paid attention last time, not even me. Second, I really like no one but Lance. I might change my mind when I actually see everyone perform. Or I might check out what's on NBC or CBS on Monday and Tuesday nights this fall...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.