Skip to main content

All the stuff I missed while I was gone...

Amazing. I'm gone for one short week, away from most news and media outlets, I come back and -- whammo, look at all I missed. I'm trying to catch up. If you'd like to read along with me, here's a few top tidbits.

- A UI professor of poly sci is on leave while investigators try to determine whether he, indeed, propositioned something along the lines of "show me your t**s and I'll give you a better grade" to four of his female students. That's after the University's still reeling from the alleged sexual assault of a woman by two football stars last year. Welcome to "Sex Scandal of the Semester." Should look great in the admissions brochures.

- The Olympics, in general, and Michael Phelps, specifically. I'm teensy weensy crushing on this boy. Eight gold medals and have you SEEN those abs??

- I think Russia's being a bully again.

- Who's the minority? We caucasians will be soon, according to a new report by the Census Bureau. Non-Hispanic whites will drop below 50 percent of the population as early as 2042, according to Bureau projections and about 10 years earlier than demographers previously had predicted.

- Morley, Iowa's fire chief's barn burned down. Not sure that's significant news, but it was on the quirky side.

- Comedian Bernie Mac died. My inlaws exclaimed, "Who's Bernie Mac?" But they'd probably ask that of nearly any entertainment person who died. So I'd say it's still pretty big news.

- Ellen and Portia tied the knot, becoming the first high-profile couple to wed since California legalized same-sex marriages. Way to go, ladies! But I wish someone would have talked Portia out of that dress choice. She looked like she was trapped in a giant cone of cotton candy.

And in the biggest bit of news for you and me both -- on the Wednesday of our vacation, I got a cell phone call in the middle of a state park in Wisconsin from someone offering me a full-time job. I took it, without even asking about salary. Desperate, much?

Comments

AnneR said…
Congrats on the job!!! Tell me more, tell me more!
Mary said…
way to bury the lead! congrats...can't wait for the details.
Brianne said…
Congratulations on the job!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...