Skip to main content

Why?

I've heard the following comments from friends and family recently, regarding my increased interest in athletic endeavors:

- How do you get up that early?
- Why the sudden increase in activity?
- You're really getting obsessed.
- Aren't you tired?
- Where does all this energy come from?

And so on.

As I've said before, I've never been an athlete. For a great portion of my life, I was a fat kid. The one picked last for P.E. games. The one who had to sit out because she couldn't breathe much. The one who had to hang on the rope instead of climb it because, well, she couldn't hoist her sorry ass up there.

A dozen years or so ago, I lost a lot of weight (partially because of smoking, which is not one bit healthy or athletic and not something I'd recommend) and worked out at a local gym quite a bit. My interest in physical activity, though, was a sort of - geez I hate this, I'm uncoordinated, my body aches, I'd rather be eating Doritos and watching Friends reruns. Then I got pregnant, gained 60 pounds (funny how the baby only weighed 7 of those), and pretty much went to hell.

But in the last couple of years, I started thinking of exercise in a new way. It has become part of my prescription for better mental health. My psychiatrist, my family doc, my gyno, my therapist, even my husband -- they all say, "You'll feel better if you just do it. Lots of people don't like to do it. No excuses. Just get up and do it." And, most of them promised, eventually you'll actually start looking forward to it and miss it when you don't do it. I thought, "Yeah, sure. And farm animals might sprout wings."

About a year ago, I joined the gym. I started spinning. I joined the group weightlifting class. I rode my bike outside more. I elliptical'ed (that can't be right). And a month ago, I started this maniacal running kick. Yesterday, I bought my first running shoes. I own cross trainers, running shoes and spinning shoes...three pairs of athletic footwear, all at the same time. Check my temperature, am I feeling well?!

As promised, I look forward to it and miss it when I don't do it. I still ache. I'm tired. There are days when I think I couldn't possibly get out of bed at that heinous hour to move and sweat. But I treat it like my lithium and sertraline and therapy sessions. It's part of what keeps me on an even keel, centered, my serotonin and endorphin levels up-up-up, working to avoid the spiral down into darkness. Healthcare providers everywhere tout the benefits of regular exercise, including the renowned Mayo Clinic. WebMD describes the euphoric feelings exercise creates in people as similar to the effects of MORPHINE. Yeah, baby.

In the process, I've developed a new sense of myself, a new view of who I am. I'd like to avoid labels, but for the first time I see myself as part of this community of athletes. I'm not the fastest or the fittest, the strongest or the best. But I'm out there, trying, doing, being. And smiling. And I expect to do whatever I can to keep it that way for as long as possible. Hopefully, a long and happy lifetime.

Comments

Chilly Dog said…
Good job Amy! Don't let them get you down. I used to be active like you....I would chase rabbits and go on long walks with my owner and my brother Snikk. Now I just sit around home and eat Glucosamine pills (yummy) and take arthritis medicine and watch TV. I still attack mailmen. Not bad, but not as fun as what you are doing. Keep it up!

Chilly Dog

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.