Skip to main content

What next?

If I can successfully complete this 21-day diet cleanse (and Sunday's day 21, so I'm pretty confident), then I feel like I can do just about anything.

That was my main motivator when I bopped into the living room last night and declared to Tim: "I'm going to become a runner."

I wasn't quite sure where to go after that. I felt as though I should put on some running shoes and take off down the road like Forrest Gump.

That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going. -- FG


Tim and a few fitness-fan friends have offered the basic advice -- start easy to avoid shin splints or other similarly painful setbacks, make sure I wear good shoes, stay hydrated, don't forget to properly warm up, and train with a specific goal in mind.

So this morning, I got up at 5 a.m., grabbed my iPod, stretched my quads and hams and etc., and ran. Technically, it was more a slow jog, but jogging sounds incredibly lame, so I insist it was running. And I did it for a whole mile. I don't know that I'd ever run an entire mile all in one outing in my entire 36 years.

Here we are, 11 hours later, I'm not staggering or flinching or crying out in unbearable pain. Maybe I'm delirious. Delusional? Or manic? That's possible, but, Nah. I think this is what healthy feels like. I'd like to hope this feeling will continue.

I have about a month and a half to train for my specific goal: the Cedar Rapids 5k Fun Run on Labor Day. It was supposed to be held during the Freedom Festival, which would have been impossible given the fact that the streets on which athletes were to run would have been under several feet of flood water.

Are you not sick enough of the flooding references? I know I am. But I suppose I should be thankful that the run was postponed, to better suit my latest bit of fitness madness.

Comments

Brianne said…
More power to you, sista!

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.