Skip to main content

Rise 'n' Shine

A while back, we got ourselves one of those weather alert radios -- the ones that will give you ample warning when severe weather may be approaching so that you can take immediate precautions, find a safe place in the interior-most portion of your home with no windows, sit in your bathtub with blankets over your head, watching the wicked witch fly by on her bicycle (dum-dadum-dadum-dum, dum-dadum-dadum-dum). You know the drill.

I appreciate the idea of the weather alert radio.

But does it have to alert me an hour before my alarm clock is supposed to wake me up?

4 a.m., we hear the tone, "The National Weather Service in the Quad Cities has issued severe thunderstorm watch number 2149 (or whatever) for..."

I'm thinking, could that not have waited? A watch means it might storm. Sometime. At a later hour. Was that really necessary, I wondered.

Not ten minutes later, the stinking thing goes off again. This time, "The National Weather Service in the Quad Cities has issued a severe thunderstorm warning...blahblahblah...dangerous storm, hail, destructive 70mph winds, lightning, wrath of God, all that."

Not to disappoint, that's when the storm began in earnest. I'm happy to say the trees and fence are still standing. We weren't sure there for a moment. We got up and looked at the radar, finding ourselves in the middle of a big red blob.

Then, the tornado sirens in our neighborhood went off.

So at 4:30 a.m., I dragged my angelic little perfectly sound asleep child into the basement, along with my nervous dog and befuddled husband, and tried to find out the latest news. Except, it seems, no one bothered to tell the national weather service or the local tv stations that a spiraling wind tunnel of mayhem was barreling towards us.

We've since decided the sirens may have been a malfunction. Better to go off and be wrong than not go off for the real thing, I guess. I keep telling myself we're lucky that the storms passed without causing major damage. We're lucky to have such technology that tries to keep us safe.

But wow, I sure could've used that extra hour of sleep. And the damn storm caused me to miss spin class. Mondays. In the Midwest. Ugh.

Comments

Wow, yikes -- glad all is okay! I noticed your status on Facebook that you were safe and wondered what that was in reference to!

Whew...

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...