Skip to main content

Pedaling in the Precip


They should change the name of the ride to RAINBRAI.

I don't know why I would be shocked or surprised or caught unawares or anything by the fact it has rained nearly every day of the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa this year -- given our pathetic luck with the weather during the past six months or so.

I don't think I'm even shocked that my husband, the 100-miles-on-his-birthday-wacko, wanted to get up at 5 a.m., drive an hour an a half to Tama, get on his bike there and ride 75 miles with thousands of other similarly "unique" folks. In a downpour.

He'll end up in North Liberty (we desperately hope), where the tour is overnighting it. Then I guess, since I'll be working, he'll ride a few more miles home. In the rain (according to the forecast, which has been surprisingly spot-on this week).

And then there was some talk we'd take Henry up to NL tonight to catch the carnival-like festivities that accompany this annual ride, including a set by a fantastic Zydeco band from New Orleans. (You know what's coming)...In the rain.

Right now, I'm nervously counting down the hours until I hear Tim is safe and sound, fed and dry, and not hydroplaning into a muddy ditch at 25 miles an hour.

Our last words to him as we closed our car doors and sent him on his way this morning: "Be careful. Have fun."

And, Henry added, mimicking me from a few minutes before when I thought he wasn't listening:

"Don't die."

Edited to add: I want to make it clear that, despite my merciless teasing that may suggest otherwise, I am immensely proud that my husband is so dedicated, determined and passionate about his many interests -- cycling being just one of them. Wanted to point that out...just in case anyone hears grumblings later...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...