Skip to main content

Now that I think about it...

When I started the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction/Cognitive Therapy program eight weeks ago, I was looking for ways to better understand my emotions and help keep myself on a more even keel, longing to avoid the major swings that become a way of life for your average, everyday, run-of-the-mill manic depressive basketcase.

While I did develop some new, effective methods for making more skillful choices, I also learned how to better live in the present, without judging myself or giving more power to my thoughts than they deserve. As our leader, Bev, says, "Thoughts are just thoughts. Not more, not less. They are not truth, they are only thoughts." In the process of learning to be in the present, not ruminating about what might have been or what could be in the future, I learned how to better live with myself. To see the automatic negative thoughts in my head for what they are -- NOT the truth, just flashes of activity in the brain. In the past, my thoughts would say to me, "You'll never be good enough. You're lazy or uncoordinated or unmotivated. You're not worthy of praise or kindness or love. You're a loser. Why bother."

In the past eight weeks, I lost six pounds. I went three weeks without alcohol, animal products, caffeine, wheat gluten or sugar. I started running. I lined up a job interview. I walked the dog. I played with my son. I loved my husband. I read three books. I worked on a knitting project. I became positively addicted to Facebook. I started weightlifting class again. I enjoyed a beautiful bottle of wine to celebrate the cleanse completion. I kept an insightful journal. I went on a retreat -- remember, SEVEN HOURS without talking. I basked in the sun.

Those are all things I DID. What's more important than doing? BEING. I was being present in those things. I was paying attention, mindfully living, living in the moment. The inner chatter didn't go away. But I was able to see it for what it was -- thoughts, not truth -- and effectively turned down the volume.

I also learned to love myself a little bit more. That may sound sappy and smack of new-age-hoo-hah. But being silent during the mindfulness program's daily rituals and during the retreat gave me plenty of time to be all alone with myself, to work out a few bits of unfinished business I had with ME. To forgive myself for not being perfect. To accept that I am emotional and passionate, demanding, occasionally irrational, creative, unrelenting, from time to time melancholy, a bit obsessive and, now and again, a total mess.

Welcome to life.

Comments

Wow, Amy!! Bravo!! That was just about the most powerful blog post I may have ever read, written by you or anyone. I feel inspired and encouraged.

Way to go!

And, on a less-serious note, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one addicted to Facebook! :)

Tom
Hi Amy,
I loved your post, and linked to it on my own blog. You might be interested: http://livemindfully.blogspot.com/
Thanks so much,
Roger
Anonymous said…
Amy . . . you said it all, and you said it well . . . it was like I was reading my own thoughts already in print.

I love reading your blog. Thanks for including me.

Have a great day. :)

Lisa

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...