Skip to main content

My celebratory meal...

Jumbo Tiger Shrimp, chilled, with Thomas Fish Camp original cocktail sauce

Bleu Cheese Stuffed Mt. Athos Green Olives

Kashi TLC party crackers -- Mediterranean Bruschetta
Natural Smoked Gouda from Holland
Cahill's Porter Cheese Vintage (Irish Cheddar with Porter)
Red Hot Dutch cheese

New Pioneer Co-Op Ciabatta bread with olive oil and spices for dipping

Divine brand 70% dark chocolate

Bogle Vineyards 2006 Petite Sirah

Served just after 8 p.m., today, on the final day of my 21-day cleanse. You'll note that all my forbidden "fruit" is included: alcohol, caffeine and sugar, wheat gluten, and animal products. Boy's in bed. Freshly cut daisies fill a vase on the table. Candles line a long, rectangular sushi plate. Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Towards Ecstasy plays on the stereo. What a special date night, enjoying this incredibly fresh, slightly intoxicating, so very not vegan, dining experience with the love of my life.



And life is good.

Comments

Brianne said…
That sounds delicious!! I noticed there was a lot of cheese involved. :) Isn't gouda cheese from Holland the BEST? Our Dutch guy who lived with us for a couple weeks brought us a wheel. We're going to visit him in February. I'll pick some up for you if you want.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...