Skip to main content

More to the story...

I learned something today that made me even more impressed and inspired by "gymnast girl" from my health club.

Turns out, Talya's a cancer survivor. At the age of 23, she discovered a lump in her breast and had a double mastectomy and chemo to fight it, reconstructive surgery to help get her life back on track.

Your chin on the floor, too?

If you'd like to read more about her, click here.

A couple other bits of trivia about Talya:

She and fellow UI Women's Gymnastics Coach Jeff Richards were named 2008 North Central Region Assistant Coaches of the Year.

One of her brothers was Russell Crowe's stunt double in the 2007 film "American Gangster."

Another of her brothers is a senior gymnastics star at Temple University.

And she's a bit of a star on You Tube. That is, someone posted her performances on the various events during a meet 10 years ago when she was at Georgia. Apparently she's best known for her floor exercise. So here it is. I swear, if she were Olympic caliber, she'd be a damn fine Jim McKay vignette.

Comments

Cherie Moore said…
What a great story and how lucky to have such an inspirational person in your spin class.
Amy said…
I think I take people for granted...those people I don't know yet walk by every day in the grocery store, at my kid's preschool, in other departments at work.

Look what happens when you actually take a closer look. You catch a glimpse of courage in action.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...