Skip to main content

Hurry up and wait

I had a job interview yesterday.

Or, more specifically, I had a meeting with the head of the editorial department of a publishing company to talk about the possibility that I might be interested in working for him IF he had a full-time position to offer AND IF he thought I was a good fit for the company.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that I'm just as unemployed as I was at this time one day ago.

I did get a freelance assignment from that same company later in the afternoon, which was a bonus. But it wasn't the long-term solution to my career frustrations that I'd hoped. I'll just keep plugging along, I guess.

I've also been going several rounds with the University's purchasing department over a freelancing project I was bidding for, after several individuals tried to do everything in their power to keep me from actually working. Not going into it here -- but, needless to say, my freelancing prospects have dried up like used-up silly string on a summer sidewalk.

A week from Saturday. That's what I'm keeping my sights on. That's when we escape north, to the vacation mecca of Door County, for a week of sun and sand, fish boils, breakfast at a Swedish restaurant with goats grazing on the grass-covered roof, bike and boat rentals, tours of lighthouses, and no talk of work. Or my lack therof.

I'm so ready. For solid, rewarding work. For steady income. And for fun and rest and relaxation. Looks like I'm getting the recreation. The gainful employment will have to wait.

“All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.”
-Alexandre Dumas, French writer

Comments

Brianne said…
Well you're one step ahead of me! I've got the vacation too but haven't even found a job worth applying for around here. Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...