Skip to main content

Have you hugged your saint today?

I did.

Or, more accurately, the saint hugged me.

I attended a program in Coralville this morning, featuring Sri Mata Amritananadamayi Devi, better known around the world as Amma. She is the 50-something Indian woman who has dedicated her life to creating a network of charitable activities. In 2002, she received the Gandhi-King Award for Non-violence from Dr. Jane Goodall, the previous year's recipient. She has spoken about world peace to the U.N. General Assembly and at the U.N. in Geneva. Last year she accepted the Cinema Verité Award in Paris, for her humanitarian activities and aid, among them disaster relief, orphanages, free food and medicines, sponsored weddings for the poor, and free legal aid. She has been the driving force behind numerous charitable hospitals, hospices, the philosophies of Ayurveda natural medical care, vocational training, community development, special needs education and the GreenFriends environmental protection movement.

But what she's probably most famous for is her "darshan," or loving embrace. She travels constantly throughout the world, and tens of thousands of people gather at each place she goes for the opportunity to get one of her holy hugs. She tenderly caresses everyone who comes to her, holding them close to her heart, spreading her brand of love and compassion and helping to transform the lives of countless people, one hug at a time. In the past 36 years, her people say she has hugged more than 26 million people.

When I decided to do it, even with my new all-natural outlook on life, I thought it might be a lot like playing with the Ouija board when I was a kid. I got all excited about the possibilities, then nothing happened. Or going in the darkened bathroom and chanting "bloody mary" 10 times and being bummed when her ghostly apparition didn't suddenly appear in the mirror. I mean, a hug's a hug. Isn't it?

I arrived at the Coralville Marriott at about 9:30 a.m., to find hallways packed with barefoot reverent people in long, flowing 100 percent organic cotton garb. I removed my shoes and left them on a shelf with everyone else's just outside the main conference room. I collected my darshan token, which indicated which hug session I would attend. While I waited, I strolled through the tables of items for sale -- jewelry, Indian-style clothing, books, CDs, plants and seeds.

At 10 a.m., the several hundred in attendance stood as Amma entered the room. During a short program, attendees were directed in a peaceful meditation. Then the darshan began. While I waited my turn, I browsed the goods a bit more and ended up buying a cookbook, "Vegan Fusion World Cuisine." Proceeds go to Amma's humanitarian causes, the book's foreword is by Dr. Goodall, it has gorgeous photography, and it has won several international awards. Plus, any cookbook with a healthy recipe for Spanikopita should be on everyone's kitchen shelf and utilized often.

Finally at 11:30, my turn had come to stand in line for Amma, which was more like a solemn version of musical chairs, without the music. Every half minute or so, I'd have to get up and move to the next chair open in front of me. Within 10 minutes, I'd advanced to the front few rows, at which time my glasses were whisked from my face by a robed man who plunked them in my purse and snatched that away too. Wouldn't want anything to get between me and my hugger. He also handed me a tissue and indicated I was to wipe my face with it. Avoid that greasy buildup on the saint's sari.

So there I was, completely blind, ushered into a kneeling position in front of the small raised platform on which Amma sat. Someone gently nudged my back, another pressed fingertips against my elbow to scooch me forward. Amma murmured quietly in a language I could not understand, then her robed arms wrapped around my shoulders and my right cheek was pressed against her bountiful bosom. Hers was an easy embrace, not a bear hug. She continued murmuring, to herself, to me, to the followers surrounding her, I'm not sure. Didn't matter. It felt calming and reassuring -- I'd gotten increasingly apprehensive in the moments leading up to "THE moment". Amma pulled away from me slightly and I turned my head in the other direction, thinking I would be led away, only to have her tuck me back in under her chin, where she hugged harder and stroked my hair. Maybe I looked particularly needy.

As I finally moved away from Amma, one of her minions handed me -- of all things -- a Hershey's Kiss, along with my glasses and purse. I left the conference room, retrieved my Birkenstocks, and walked into the bright sunshine.

Smelling of sandalwood and roses. Feeling just a little more at peace.

Comments

Brianne said…
aw that's really cool!

a few things:
1) just out of sheer, random curiousity, what is your glasses prescription?

2) I had no idea what spanikopita was so I Googled it and it looks absolutely delicious and I intend to make it very, very soon

3) Is it sacriligious that this entry made me crave lamb koorma?
Amy said…
Bri -

1. I have no idea, officially. Unofficially, I'd say, "one step away from Helen Keller."

2. You haven't lived until you've been Spanikopita'd.

3. Everything makes me crave meat lately. Of any kind. So, no.

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.