Skip to main content

A couple post-cleanse observations

Since the end of my 21-day detox diet on Sunday, I have been incorporating some regular foods and beverages back into my daily life. Yesterday, I had my first Diet Pepsi in over three weeks. And last night, I had a horrible stomach ache and could not sleep at all. Tossed, turned, swore into the pillow.

Also, just since Sunday, I have developed a sore throat that I thought might be allergies but have since decided that it's the beginnings of the cold that my sniffling son has so thoughtfully shared with me.

Lessons learned? Caffeine = baaaaad. Adding back the five forbiddens = lowered my defenses. Just my first thoughts.

I stopped at the store on the way to work this a.m. for a bottle of Zicam cherry flavored melt-in-your-mouth tabs. I took them once before, at the first signs of a cold, and it kept the major symptoms at bay...until I stopped taking them, then the cold hit me with a fury. I may be postponing the inevitable, but I'm still going to take them. Procrastination is a beautiful thing.

You and I both never thought I'd ever say the words, "Caffeine makes me sick." I guess I'd better get used to a new Starbucks order, "Grande decaf extra hot soy latte, light foam."

Comments

Nicole said…
As an FYI, Starbucks after July 15th (at least the one I stop at on the way to work) will no longer have decaf Frapps. Corridor Coffee doesn't bat an eye at my decaf orders...

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...