Skip to main content

And people wonder why divorce rates are so high

A 20-something girly girl in the office where I temp came back to her desk this afternoon, sighed loudly and rolled her eyes to the heavens when she saw what was waiting for her.

A lovely bouquet of a dozen, delightfully fragrant soft-pink roses.

I wondered, "Wow, I wonder what he did to earn the doghouse." Then she explained, loudly and with much disdain in her voice, that her boyfriend sent them to her because she passed her first claims test and is on her way to becoming a full fledged claims support specialist.

So let me get this straight. He spent money on her. Did something incredibly thoughtful for her. Wanted to congratulate her in a special way for her success. Exactly why did this irritate her so much?

"I hate roses. Especially pink roses. What a cheeseball." That's what she said. Honestly. Ladies. Are you with me here? If your boy sends you flowers, ANY kind of flowers, because he wants to say he loves you and he's proud of you, don't you DARE behave that way. Ever. What an ungrateful, ugly, bitchy reaction.

I offered to take them off her hands. She shrugged her shoulders and laughed. I truly wanted to punch her in the nose. She gives womankind a bad name. I'd take a flower of any kind, whether a daisy or a daylily or an exotic orchid. My kid even picks dandelions and offers them to me as a token of his affection. I give him squishy kisses all over his sweet little face. My husband often sends me, via e-mail, flower photos that he has shot, and they're usually more gorgeous and meaningful than the real thing.

I cringe to think that this woman might actually go home and tell the man that she hates roses, to his face.

I have one piece of advice to offer her boyfriend: Dump her ass, before it's too late and you put a diamond ring on her finger that she'll complain to anyone who'll listen that it is too big, or not big enough, or the wrong shape, or yellow gold instead of platinum. Imagine how she'll be in the divorce settlement proceedings. Get yourself a prenup at least.

And from now on, buddy, if you want to congratulate her, spend as little time and money and thought and effort and emotion as possible: snd hr a txt msg.

Comments

Brianne said…
what a biatch!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...