Skip to main content

Making notes, taking notes

My newfound career as a concert clarinetist turned out to be a brief one. After one rehearsal, the sky rained down and the river spilled its banks. So I had rehearsals and scheduled concerts canceled ever since.

This morning, I finally had my second practice with the group. And -- with any amount of luck that we, thus far this season, have not seen much of -- we'll perform on the downtown Pedestrian Mall tonight.

During my first rehearsal, I was asked to introduce myself to the band, and I shared with them the story of my niece regifting the refurbished clarinet to me. There were lots of "awwww"s and a smattering of applause. Several people came up to me after to thank me for sharing and for joining the band.

The most jaw-dropping moment for me came when the band director looked to the first-chair clarinet player and said, "Himie, a C for the band, please."

Himie? Himie? There surely cannot be another Himie who plays the clarinet?! Those of you from out of town or out of touch with the music world may not know. But the first-chair clarinet in my community band is...

Himie - Freaking - Voxman!!!

He is a LEGEND. The UI's Voxman Music Building is named after him (alas, one of the multiple buildings flooded on the arts campus). He has been recognized as one of the most influential American music educators of the last century. Originally trained as a - of all things - chemical engineer, he joined the UI School of Music in 1939 and became director in 1954, remaining until his retirement in 1980. He's now in his 90s.

And he's in my community band. Excuse me while I swoon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...