Skip to main content

The journey begins

As I travel my path to mindfulness through meditation, yoga and group therapy, I plan on dragging you all along. Fair warning.

Our first session last night offered an introduction into what the group facilitator calls "the mindfulness practice." She says:

Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy teaches us that we can choose how we relate to painful and pleasant thoughts, images, and mood states. This has the power to increase or decrease the degree of suffering we experience. The next eight weeks are an opportunity for you to investigate your experience of depression and/or anxiety as well as other aspects of your life in this light and to see if, in fact, it is true. Through daily practices of relating to yourself and your experience mindfully, you will develop skills that allow you to see clearly what is occurring, to recognize that you have choices regarding how you relate to it and to practice making choices from a place of wisdom and compassion rather than from habit and self-criticism. It is an opportunity for you to become an expert on your experience and to develop some skills in being in your life, including with the unpleasant and painful, in a different way. You don't know what is going to happen as you learn to pay this kind of attention to yourself and to cultivate these skills. It will take effort on your part and a willingness to stay with it even when it is difficult and to see how it unfolds. Engaging in this process is an act of courage.

There are two parts to the practice: the formal practice and the informal practice. This week, the formal practice is a daily body scan, which involves lying or sitting comfortably alone in a quiet room and listening to a CD that gives instructions that require participants to focus on the sensations of each body part one at a time, briefly acknowledging and gently pushing away any extraneous thoughts that drift into the mind and distract from the scan. The informal practice this week asks that we eat at least one meal or snack a day "mindfully." That is, to shut off the TV and music, to set aside any distractions, and to thoughtfully and deliberately eat, examining the food and thinking about what you see, the colors and shapes and textures, breathing in and making conscious note of what you smell and how your body reacts, taking the first bite and letting it rest on your tongue, roam your mouth, press against your teeth. It's a time to make observations that might normally get lost during the rush to get to the next point in your day.

The practice steps require about an hour a day in commitment. Then there are weekly suggested readings in the book The Mindful Way Through Depression by Williams, Teasdale, Segal and Kabat-Zinn.

I'd welcome my readers to get a hold of the book and read along, too. This week, chapters 1&5. If you're intrigued and find yourself interested in participating in a similar course, poke around your local psychiatry clinics, hospitals, and yoga studios to find offerings in your area.

Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way: On purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally. -- Jon Kabat-Zinn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.