Skip to main content

Word of the day: OOPSIE

Quoting my husband:

Oh joyous day. It isn't even noon and already Amy has crashed her bike and I've run my cell phone through the washing machine.

Putting the most positive spin possible on the morning's events, at least I came through my mishap -- an absolutely ungraceful flight from my bike into a drainage ditch -- with no broken bones or major lacerations. And hey, I rode 22 miles today. All you Tour de Francers beware. I'm in it to win it. (Or some such competitive cliché.)

As for Tim's phone, we made a quick, desperate call to our friend Tom, who confirmed what we'd immediately scrambled to learn online from the hordes of others who've unceremoniously immersed their phones in bathtubs, toilets, sinks, bodies of water and, in at least one sad case, a pitcher of beer -- whatever you do, DON'T TURN ON THE PHONE. Instead, we took out the battery, dunked the phone in rubbing alcohol (advice from those helpful hordes who blog their techie tips), dried it off and left it to air out for a few days. We've opted to assist the air drying by submerging the phone in a bowl of rice, which would theoretically absorb moisture. This all seems to come from some theoretical fairyland, in which I might also be encouraged to flit around a golf course holding a giant metal umbrella during a severe thunderstorm. Naked. Singing "If I Only Had a Brain."

Let's start a pool: Predict what happens on Wednesday when we push the power button.

Comments

Brianne said…
My guess is the phone is kaput. Brett dropped his in the pool once. We took it to Sprint and the guy pulled the back off to show us these little pink markings - if they can be clearly read, your phone is fine. If they're a blurry mess, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to remedy it.
Don't know how different all the cell phones out there are on this matter but I predict a new phone is in Tim's future!

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.