Skip to main content

I cannot do the Smurf

Thanks to my 10-years-younger-than-me niece for keeping me at least a decade younger and ever-so-slightly cool. Or hip. Or with it. Or whatever's the current lingo.

Brianne introduced me to this indie rock group, Rilo Kiley, a while back. For those of you stuck in the '80s, the band's lead singer is Jenny Lewis, who played Hannah in the movie Troop Beverly Hills.

The video I'm featuring is "Frug," a song with sparklingly repetitive lyrics guaranteed to stick themselves like superglue to your gray matter.

Comments

Brianne said…
EXCELLENT post choice! That's my personal favorite. Their albums get less and less indie but their newest, Under the Blacklight, is a damn good listen. Particularly "Smoke Detector."

Another artist you might enjoy is Nellie McKay. First album is better than the second, and I've heard her third is kick ass.

Thanks for the props by the way. :)
Brianne said…
Oh! And did I tell you I got to meet Rilo Kiley? They did a little 3-song "show" at the bar right across the street from my old job. Then one of my bosses was all, "You should see if you can get them to come over to take a picture!" and I didn't think I could actually do that but I took advantage of watching the show (it was at like, 8:30 a.m.), but I got ahold of their record rep by sheer luck and they did it! I have the photo somewhere.... no clue where though. Hm.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...