Skip to main content

D.S. al fine

There's something poignantly fitting about me getting back my old clarinet earlier this year, the one I played all through my elementary, junior high and high school years. After I graduated, I passed the horn on to my niece, who went on to be a much more gifted and talented musician than I could ever hope to be. She even outgrew the inexpensive model and upgraded to a more high quality version, taking it on an international music tour with her band group. I'd actually thought she'd traded in my horn, to knock down the price tag on her new one.

Then, I was given an extra-special birthday-Christmas combo gift -- my niece, sister and brother-in-law told me they were giving the clarinet back to me. They spent more money than the clarinet was even worth to have the corks and pads replaced, have it completely refurbished, and equipped with a music holder, assortment of cleaning materials, and several fine-quality reeds. I finally received the fully restored, shiny black-and-silver beauty a couple months ago.

So what, do you ask, is poignantly fitting about my reunion with my clarinet in 2008?

I just learned that my band director had a massive stroke and died on Tuesday. Some people might describe Mr. Ted Powers as a crank, or a curmudgeon, a crotchety old coot. I'm not sure he was the world's best band director. Some people had a love/hate relationship with him. He didn't put up with crap. He yelled a lot. You have to yell to be heard over a room of 150 teenagers rattling their drumsticks, blowing saliva out of their spit valves, squeaking, squawking, or otherwise molesting their instruments and abusing ear canals.

But I loved this man for all his cringe-worthy qualities as well as his endearing ones. When you coaxed a smile from his usually gruff jowls, the sun shone. When you earned his praise, you knew you truly earned it. When you presented him with a gift at your final band concert and you both shed tears, you knew your life had been touched forever by this man.

He gave me a gift. It was about more than learning to read music, finger an instrument, keep the beat, march on a football field or down a parade route. He gave me the confidence to play a solo at state and earn a top rating. He gave me the opportunity to spend time with classmates who became my closest friends. He nurtured a sense of community. In his class, I experienced the biggest, most passionate crush of my high school career -- Paul, the drummer, who carried his sticks in his back pocket and smelled of rich cigarette tobacco, Polo cologne and black leather.

...Perhaps, I digress...

I wonder how many of his other former students -- from his four decades of music education -- will learn of his passing with both sadness and joy, whether it's been 10 years or 40 since they sat below his podium and followed the fierce movements of his pudgy, gentle hands guiding and directing them.

So I say goodbye to Ted...who really, truly was a teddy bear at heart. And say hello, again, to the music he coaxed from me years ago. I plan to join the community band here this summer. It won't be quite the same.

But nothing ever is.

Comments

Brianne said…
Aw that's sad. And a little eerie with the timing huh?

How did the clarinet turn out by the way? Does it look all shiny and new? You should post a picture.

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.