Skip to main content

Someone's plotting against us!

How long has it been since original, first-broadcast programming aired on the major networks? That writers' strike went on for months. Yes, there was an endless parade of reality programming, but I'm talking the good stuff. Specifically, THE OFFICE. I swear, Ryan was still a Temp the last time I watched.

Oh, how I was looking forward to this evening. A new episode! On at 8 p.m., right as the kid would be going to bed! The joy I get from those precious 30 minutes each Thursday (I'm sure it's technically 22 minutes, what with commercials, but who's counting) could be considered -- a la MasterCard -- priceless.
And then a giant line of tornadic thunderstorms parked itself right over us, and we were treated to several hours of weather coverage. Even after the tornado warnings expired -- the magical rule the stations adopt for when to get their butts off the air -- they wouldn't sign off. Trained spotters insisted they saw funnels near the airport; the National Weather Service didn't believe them, yet the obsessively dedicated meterologists (who need to, perhaps, get lives) refused to relinquish control of the station.

Until 8:28 p.m. As the credits were rolling.

Never fear, the anchor told us, we will be able to watch the interrupted programming in its entirety.

Starting after midnight Sunday morning, following Saturday Night Live.

It's amazing how un-funny a quest for sitcoms can be.

However, in a strange twist, my life has begun to imitate art. I haven't met Michael Scott yet, but I did see a cute, tall guy who looks a little like Jim and there seems to be a whole village of cubicles filled with Phyllis-es.

You see, I started a new job this week, serving in an administrative support role for a local HR management company. Just call me "Ryan."

I'm a Temp.

If all goes as it does on TV, in two seasons, I'll be running the company.

Comments

FletcherDodge said…
Just so you won't have to wait until Sunday, I present Three Vasectomeis!!!
Mary said…
In certain circles, that type of coverage is known as "weather porn."

Can't wait for true tales from the temp world!

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...