Skip to main content

Not a great beginning

The only thing worse than eight hours in a car with a whiny kid who's watching DVDs is eight hours in a car with a whiny kid and a DVD player that doesn't work.

That's what I was faced with on Wednesday morning, as we prepared to embark on our trek to the land of Tornadoes and Toto and Grandma Dorothy. I plugged the DVD cord into the car socket (that strange little hole in the dashboard once known as a cigarette lighter). Nothing happened.

Gasp. Wheeze. Shriek.

I fiddled and twisted and plugged and unplugged it any number of times. Still, nothing happened. We checked to see whether we had a player malfunction, by plugging it into the Avalon. Lights and sirens, bells and whistles, holy technology Batman! We had diagnosed the problem.

Sort of.

I thought for a moment about unpacking my Civic and repacking in the other car, but I decided against it because I didn't want to spend the extra gas money, I wasn't thrilled about driving hundreds of miles alone with a kid in an 11-year-old car, and mostly I thought it would be super-duper fun to sit in the Honda service waiting area for 2 hours with a dog in a crate and a bored preschooler, while they installed a new socket (after telling us in a roundabout way that the jackasses who did the body work after my wreck somehow managed to pull out the old one and tried to fool me by supergluing it back in -- quite unsuccessfully, it seems).

Anyway, that's just what we did. I tried to make up a bit of time by refusing to stop for anything short of a backseat bladder catastrophe or severe dehydration and/or starvation. We made it to my folks' house by 5 p.m., all three of us (me, little dude, and dog) doing the gotta-go dance straight from the car to the bathroom facility of choice.

I may be a horrid parent, plopping my kid in front of videos for eight hours straight (plus the two hours during which he was subjected to Diane Sawyer and a Dancing with the Stars elimination recap on Good Morning America in the waiting area), plying him with gummy snacks and Happy Meals throughout. I admit it. I'm awful. I'm one of those parents I swore I'd never be.

But we made it there and back, safe and sane.

So hooray for Honda, squeezing me in on a moment's notice. And I heap bushels of praise upon the person who invented the portable DVD. That genius deserves a raise.

(The knucklehead who thought it was a great idea to glue in my broken socket as though it were meant to be that way, slightly crooked and without one bit of voltage, owes me $88.73.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
chezik-bell? If we bought Honda or Ford, it would definitely be from them. The Bells are good people.
Amy said…
That's them! I'm planning a big thank you note to the service department. I was floored that they just did it, right then, with no appointment or anything. I think I had a look of great desperation...

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.