Skip to main content

Because people have inquired...



I hesitate to say anything about yesterday, for fear of jinxing myself -- carrying along that hoodoo voodoo superstition theme.

I will mention that my interview was held during a TORNADO WARNING. Bad omen or good? I cannot say. The department's leader and search committee member noted, "When we see a funnel cloud, that's when we'll seek some shelter." He was only half joking. (He had checked to make sure the actual path of the tornado in question was far south and east of us. So I appreciated his casual manner...as well as his general irritation at the institution's rather shoddy weather warning system. Plus, I didn't want to postpone the interview and have to get all geared up and freaked out all over again at a later date.)

They have two more interviews on Monday, then they will regroup and review, and call back people for second interviews...if they feel it is necessary. I hope it is not. The reaction of the committee members seemed warm, pleased and genuine. If I had to give my honest opinion as to my chances, not knowing any of the other candidates, I'd say I knocked their cotton-poly blend trouser socks off. I also know how those situations go, and how my impression can be dead wrong.

The last time I interviewed for a full-time editorial job, I had myself convinced I had the job locked up. I wasn't even in the top two when the dust settled. And the loss crushed my self-confidence like a Junebug under a baseball cleat.

If I get it, I deserved it. If I didn't, it wasn't meant to be at this time.

I'll be sad. But I'll keep applying for the positions that sound like a good fit. And I'll be counting down the days to the end of my current customer service Temp duties. Hopefully they'll end before I really grow to hate people.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Heard anything? Everything I can cross for you I will!
Amy said…
Thank you! No, haven't heard anything yet. No news is good news...or not. We'll see...

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.