Skip to main content

Because people have inquired...



I hesitate to say anything about yesterday, for fear of jinxing myself -- carrying along that hoodoo voodoo superstition theme.

I will mention that my interview was held during a TORNADO WARNING. Bad omen or good? I cannot say. The department's leader and search committee member noted, "When we see a funnel cloud, that's when we'll seek some shelter." He was only half joking. (He had checked to make sure the actual path of the tornado in question was far south and east of us. So I appreciated his casual manner...as well as his general irritation at the institution's rather shoddy weather warning system. Plus, I didn't want to postpone the interview and have to get all geared up and freaked out all over again at a later date.)

They have two more interviews on Monday, then they will regroup and review, and call back people for second interviews...if they feel it is necessary. I hope it is not. The reaction of the committee members seemed warm, pleased and genuine. If I had to give my honest opinion as to my chances, not knowing any of the other candidates, I'd say I knocked their cotton-poly blend trouser socks off. I also know how those situations go, and how my impression can be dead wrong.

The last time I interviewed for a full-time editorial job, I had myself convinced I had the job locked up. I wasn't even in the top two when the dust settled. And the loss crushed my self-confidence like a Junebug under a baseball cleat.

If I get it, I deserved it. If I didn't, it wasn't meant to be at this time.

I'll be sad. But I'll keep applying for the positions that sound like a good fit. And I'll be counting down the days to the end of my current customer service Temp duties. Hopefully they'll end before I really grow to hate people.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Heard anything? Everything I can cross for you I will!
Amy said…
Thank you! No, haven't heard anything yet. No news is good news...or not. We'll see...

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...