Skip to main content

YUMMO, in any language


I'm going to skip the gritching about the weather (despite the fact that I'm sitting here watching what feels like this winter's 6,000th inch of snow falling outside). Instead, I'm going to share another recipe that's perfect for a day like today. Or any day, really. Rachael Ray calls it "making any night Cinco de Mayo." I know, I heard how some of you have highly sensitive gag reflexes when it comes to Rachael. Forget I mentioned her and don't let your feelings interfere with the chance to savor a little bit of heaven. Or as our friends south of the border (whom the pesky republicans are all fired up to keep on their own side of a very large fence) might say, "un poco cielo."

Shrimp Fajita-Tortilla Soup (you can use chicken instead...but why?)

2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 1/2 lbs. peeled, deveined shrimp, tails removed
1 tbsp. ground coriander
2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped (or dried thyme to taste)
Salt and black pepper
1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1 large bell pepper, seeded, quartered, and thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
1 (28oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 quart (4 cups) chicken stock
1 bag white corn tortilla chips
1 c. shredded pepper jack (plus more to pass at the table)
1 ripe avocado
Juice of 1 lime
4 scallions, chopped
A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped

1. In a large skillet heat the EVOO over medium-high to high heat. Add shrimp, season with coriander, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside to keep from overcooking. (If you're silly enough to use chicken, you can keep it in for the duration.)
2. Add onions, bell pepper, and jalapeno to the pan, season with more salt and pepper, and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Veggies should be charred at the edges but still a bit crispy.
3. Add the tomatoes and stock and heat through. Return shrimp to pan just before dishing up to reheat briefly.
4. While the soup is working, lightly crush some tortilla chips and put in bottom of soup bowls. Top the chips with shredded cheese.
5. Peel and dice the avocado and toss it with the lime juice.
6. To serve, ladle the soup over the chips and cheese and garnish each serving with avocado, scallions, and cilantro. Pass some extra cheese for those who want it.

Comments

Brianne said…
That does sound pretty tasty. Brett has an awesome roasted corn & crab chowder that he makes sometime. If you wanted that one. :) I feel bad not giving anything in return!

That's definitely one we'll have to keep in mind. After pay day anyway. We are dead broke. Can't even go grocery shopping right now.

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.