Skip to main content

Shock and Sadness


I hadn't talked to her in over 10 years. I wouldn't have even known how to get in touch with her if I'd wanted to.

But I always wished I'd thanked her one more time for being a kind, warm, supportive, funny, talented individual -- someone who made my work better and my life a little easier in the summer of 1995.

I won't get that chance now. She was murdered.

Nancy Miller, a 59-year-old resident of Chesterfield, Mo., spent nearly 30 years at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch as a copy editor, St. Charles bureau chief, suburban editor, assistant metro editor and Lifestyle editor, before retiring last June.

When her friends and family couldn't reach her on Friday, they became worried. She was found slain, the headlines read, but police aren't saying how she died. They did take a suspect into custody late today and expect warrants to be issued soon. I'm sure we'll learn more in the days and weeks to come about who took her life and why.

Whatever the details, I'll remain in shock for a long time. Nancy was one of my metro editors when I served as summer intern for the paper's city desk. I had a serious self-confidence problem that summer, as in, I had none. I thought of myself as a small town girl from a mediocre communications program at a commuter school in the sticks who somehow conned the powers that be into an internship at this major metro daily -- and constantly waited for someone to figure out I didn't deserve to be there.

Then there was Nancy, with her gentle southern accent and maternal approach (although I don't think she ever had kids of her own), who took me under her wing, offered guidance and praise, and occasionally some quiet, good-natured teasing to lighten the mood. She sent me out on floods, fires, sweltering heat stories, lost dog tales. Among the 50-plus stories I wrote in those three months -- 13 of which were on the front page, thanks in part to Nancy's support and belief in me -- I wrote an in-depth story on whether local lifeguards had enough training and drove all over the county and beyond to create an enterprise piece about why post offices stopped displaying "Wanted" posters. And yes, I covered death.

Never in a million years would I have ever believed it, if I hadn't seen it right there on the Web site of the paper Nancy put her heart and soul into for three decades. Her colleagues had to cover her killing. They had to decide where to put it, on A1 or Metro. They had to call her relatives and pull her head shot out of the file.

I don't know what else to say, except she's just about the last person in the world who deserved any kind of mistreatment. Working with her has been a highlight of my career.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh, Amy. I'm so sorry.
Love, your sister, Anne
Very sad news indeed. It's the headline here in St. Louis, of course. I wondered if you might have known her...
AnneR said…
Amy, I hope you'll keep us posted about Nancy thru your blog--I have to join you in wondering what could have happened. My condolences on the loss of your mentor.

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.