Skip to main content

The (Seriously) Odd Couple


Do Britney and I have something in common?

She can allegedly sing; I can most definitely not. She has horrible taste in men; I married a devoted sweetie. She goes commando; I remain silent on the subject.

But if we're to believe the tabloid psychobabble, the wacky pop princess and I may be sisters in the mental health sense. See, the headlines keep screaming, "Bipolar Brit," and who's to say they're wrong. Even Dr. Phil thinks she needs her head examined, in speedy fashion.

Attendees of the annual winter conference of the American Psychoanalytical Association urge the media (through a CNN story) to be responsible and stop speculating about this woman's disturbing behavior.

But when you go out in public and flash your bare nether regions for the paparazzi, chomp gum like the hillbilly you are, fail to show up for custody hearings, refuse to give your kids back to their custodial parent (even if it IS K-FED), shave your head, whomp up on someone's car with an umbrella, churn out babies like candies from a Pez dispenser, perform a dance like a lumbering bear on sedatives on national TV...need I go on?

If I behaved like this, they'd put me on 24-hour watch in a locked ward, load me up on Lithium and assorted anti-psychotic meds, take away all pointy objects and -- if I was a good girl -- they'd let me go with the recreational therapist to string plastic beads for craft hour. (In fact, that's about what happened to me in 2006 and all I did was get inappropriately flirty, develop insomnia, and happen to mention I didn't feel like living much.)

Since it's Britney, the world acts as part star-craved enabler, part train-wreck gawker. She may not have bipolar disorder, but something's certainly off. Someone save this girl before it's too late. Before she dies or before she screws up her poor boys' lives permanently.

In the name of education and advocacy: The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) defines bipolar disorder (also known as manic-depressive illness) as a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in a person's mood, energy and ability to function. About 5.7 million American adults or about 2.6 percent of the population age 18 and older are said to have the disorder. It is often treated with medications known as mood stabilizers. For more information, visit the NIMH site.

To seek help and support in your community, find your local chapter of NAMI -- the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

If you need someone to talk to, call one of the following hotlines, which are toll free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 1-800-SUICIDE, 1-800-273-TALK

If you don't feel safe, please seek help immediately by calling 911.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

Who knew...

'Tis the season for bridal bliss. 'Tis also the season for the accompanying reception dance. And what's a wedding reception without that most unique of all marriage celebration dance numbers: The Chicken Dance. You know the drill. Polka starts, beak-quacking hand gestures, flapping, butt shimmying, and clapping ensue. A fun time is had by all (especially if there's an open bar). What you may not know is that: 1. This oom-pah song's origins rest with a Swiss according player named Werner Thomas who wrote it, most accounts say, in the 1950s. It originally was called the Duck Dance. 2. It is NOT German or Austrian, despite the images its roll-out-the-barrel-ish feelings it might conjure up. 3. A fellow named Norm Edlebeck, who was a bandleader from Wisconsin, introduced America to the Chicken Dance on TV's PM Magazine in 1982. 4. More than 140 versions of it have been recorded worldwide, including Walt Disney Records, together making more than 40,000,000 records (o...